My husband and I are planning a trip to South Africa for late March/early April 2016. We are young professionals and thus have a moderate budget but very short on time (8 days in, 11 days total). For our accommodations, we usually stay in B&Bs and boutique hotels (not luxury, just clean, comfortable, centrally located). Currently focusing on Sabi Sands and Cape Town - I know there is so much more to SA than these two areas, but with 8 days, I don't want to over-do it.
This will be our first time in Africa and I'm not currently planning on using a tour operator, so a critical eye would be much appreciated!
Day One: Travel: outgoing pm flight from ATL to JHB
Day Two: Travel: arrive in JHB at 5:00 local time; overnight at B&B or small hotel (possibly Ginnegaap or Blue Mango Lodge?)
Day Three: Travel OR Tambo to Skukuza via the morning Airlink flight;
land transfer from Skukuza to Sabi Sands lodge (currently deciding between Notten's, Kirkman's, and Lion Sands River Lodge - thoughts?)
Day Four: Sabi Sands
Day Five: Sabi Sands
Day Six: Depart Sabi Sands; land transfer to Skukuza and travel via 13:30 flight to CPT; arrive around 18:00, pick up rental car; exploring Cape Town
Day Seven: Cape Town: 1/2 day trip: Winelands/Franschoek Wine Tram OR Robben's Island
Day Eight: Cape Town: AM - Kirstenboesch Botanical Gardens + Table Mountain (likely we would just take the cable car up and back, though we have discussed hiking one way, weather permitting)
PM - Bo-Kaap exploring (shops and salon, Bo-Kaap Museum, dinner in Bo-Kaap)
Day Nine: Cape Town: day trip: drive to the Cape of Good Hope, Boulder's Beach; leisurely exploring
Day Ten: Cape Town: flea market, waterfront area; visit any misc. shops; late check out, drop off rental car, and late evening flight out from CPT
Day Eleven: Travel, ctd. to our final destination
I know many folks prefer to end with safari.. however, we usually buy books as our souvenirs which I imagine will significantly weigh down our bags for the AirLInk flights.
Feel free to share your thoughts, opinions, experiences, recommendations! Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Sept in Dubai. what to wear
- 2 Ethiopian Tour operators
- 3 visiting Ethiopia as a single female on a low budget
- 4 Tanzanian Tour Operators
- 5 Lebanon Spring 2018
- 6 electric devices
- 7 Flying from Florida to Dubai
- 8 Advice on private tour Morocco
- 9 Victoria Falls
- 10 Morocco--rent motorcycle without license
- 11 sahara desert
- 12 Erta Ale ETHIOPIA - any updates?
- 13 STONE TOWN hotel recommendation for 1/14/18
- 14 Feedback on 2-Week South Africa Itinerary?
- 15 Private driver in Morocco
- 16 Private tours in Morocco
- 17 Morocco Expert Tours
- 18 East Africa (Tanzania) or South (Botswana) Middle June 2018
- 19 Mid range hotel/lodge in Arusha
- 20 Kilimanjaro
- 21 Keep watching the news and DON'T believe my trip report
- 22 Zanzibar Anyone?
- 23 help me to visit Morocco
- 24 Cape Town & wine country in July? Help...
- 25 Nairobi to Arusha -- By Shuttle, Bus, or Plane