I have just accepted a job teaching at the international school in Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania most likely for at least two years. My daughter who is 10 years old and I (we are both African American/biracial) will be moving from the USA to Dar in August! We have never been to Africa so it is a great adventure. I was hoping to get information about what some difficulties and blessings we, a mom and a daughter, might expect in moving to Dar. I was also hoping for more info. on what it would be like to live in Dar. I can't quite picture the city, ie. imagine the feel of it...Is it crazy hectic? More laidback? Pretty? Filthy? etc. What are the beaches like around it? The tour books focus mostly on Tanzania's countryside and Zanzibar's Stonetown and spends little pages discussing what Dar is really like. Both my daughter and I are really lookng forward to this move and will have great support in the ex pat community and more specifically in the international school community, but we want to know more about the Tanzanian community. Thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Safari is set!
- 2 Frights to Iran from Bishkek or Tashkent
- 3 Leishmaniasis Common? - Marrakech?
- 4 9 days itinerary help and some other questions
- 5 Tanzania and Kenya Trip 2018 - advise needed
- 6 Safety in Johannesburg
- 7 Morocco 10 day Itinerary
- 8 South Africa: WESTERN CAPE in spring: Need HELP getting addicted!
- 9 Qatar to Iran
- 10 Sharm el Sheikh - Anyone been recently
- 11 Lebanon Spring 2018
- 12 Sept in Dubai. what to wear
- 13 Ethiopian Tour operators
- 14 visiting Ethiopia as a single female on a low budget
- 15 Tanzanian Tour Operators
- 16 electric devices
- 17 Flying from Florida to Dubai
- 18 Advice on private tour Morocco
- 19 Victoria Falls
- 20 Morocco--rent motorcycle without license
- 21 sahara desert
- 22 Erta Ale ETHIOPIA - any updates?
- 23 STONE TOWN hotel recommendation for 1/14/18
- 24 Feedback on 2-Week South Africa Itinerary?
- 25 Private driver in Morocco