by Susana Herrera
I bought this book for �1.99 from a cheapy cheapy remainder book shop on Charing Cross Road yesterday as I walked up from Leicester Sq area to Tottenham Court Road after a long lunch with a new internet friend (after having filled her head with dreams of Africa and then, the pleasures of browsing Stanford's Africa section).
Mango Elephants In The Sun is the tale of a 23 year old American woman who travels to Cameroon with the Peace Corps (92-94) and takes a position as a teacher for 2 years in a small village there. She gets paid only enough to buy groceries (though evidently enough to splurge on food/ bus/ taxi every now and then). The story takes us through her struggle against the belief that every white person, especially from America, is rich, her difficulty in finding her own methods for gaining the respect of her students and her slow but sure establishment of strong friendships in her African community. When she arrives in Africa she is emtionally wounded from her life to date and seeking some kind of answer to it all.
The start is a little too schmaltzy/ spiritual but it very quickly improves - I can't believe how involved I became in her story after a few chapters.
As I came to the end of it I found myself weeping so much I could hardly read and sitting in an absolutely freezing cold bathtub.
Anyway, although the poetic nature of her writing is occasionally a little too contrived, mostly it is genuine and exciting and emotionally charged.
I really enjoyed it. Don't know if anyone else will but...
I thought I'd share.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 VIPRE @ renewal Installation CONTACT ☎18006817208 Tec*h supp0rt 24/7
- 2 VIPRE @ renewal Installation CONTACT ☎18006817208 Tec*h supp0rt 24/7
- 3 Frights to Iran from Bishkek or Tashkent
- 4 Safari is set!
- 5 Leishmaniasis Common? - Marrakech?
- 6 9 days itinerary help and some other questions
- 7 Tanzania and Kenya Trip 2018 - advise needed
- 8 Safety in Johannesburg
- 9 Morocco 10 day Itinerary
- 10 South Africa: WESTERN CAPE in spring: Need HELP getting addicted!
- 11 Qatar to Iran
- 12 Sharm el Sheikh - Anyone been recently
- 13 Lebanon Spring 2018
- 14 Sept in Dubai. what to wear
- 15 Ethiopian Tour operators
- 16 visiting Ethiopia as a single female on a low budget
- 17 Tanzanian Tour Operators
- 18 electric devices
- 19 Flying from Florida to Dubai
- 20 Advice on private tour Morocco
- 21 Victoria Falls
- 22 Morocco--rent motorcycle without license
- 23 sahara desert
- 24 Erta Ale ETHIOPIA - any updates?
- 25 STONE TOWN hotel recommendation for 1/14/18
by Susana Herrera