Africa & the Middle East Forums

Post New Topic

Recent Activity

  • Announcement:
  • Come explore the new Fodor’s Forum
    by ibobi Fodor's Editor | Posted on Dec 4, 17 at 08:03 PM
View all Africa & the Middle East activity »
  1. 1 AOL ☎Contact Password Reset supp0rt ☎1:800:681:7208 AOL Tec*h By ☎Yes!
  2. 2 Tanzania and Kenya Trip 2018 - advise needed
  3. 3 Morocco 10 day Itinerary
  4. 4 Safety in Johannesburg
  5. 5 South Africa: WESTERN CAPE in spring: Need HELP getting addicted!
  6. 6 Qatar to Iran
  7. 7 Sharm el Sheikh - Anyone been recently
  8. 8 Lebanon Spring 2018
  9. 9 Sept in Dubai. what to wear
  10. 10 Ethiopian Tour operators
  11. 11 visiting Ethiopia as a single female on a low budget
  12. 12 Tanzanian Tour Operators
  13. 13 electric devices
  14. 14 Flying from Florida to Dubai
  15. 15 Advice on private tour Morocco
  16. 16 Victoria Falls
  17. 17 Morocco--rent motorcycle without license
  18. 18 sahara desert
  19. 19 Erta Ale ETHIOPIA - any updates?
  20. 20 STONE TOWN hotel recommendation for 1/14/18
  21. 21 Feedback on 2-Week South Africa Itinerary?
  22. 22 Private driver in Morocco
  23. 23 Private tours in Morocco
  24. 24 Morocco Expert Tours
  25. 25 East Africa (Tanzania) or South (Botswana) Middle June 2018
View next 25 » Back to the top

Just returned from East Africa

Jump to last reply

Just returned from a Trip to Mumbai/Kenya/Tanzania/Dubai and here is the beginning of a trip report
Travel for East Africa Africa Seredipiti (Sandi)through Chelli and Peacock ( Kenya) and Roy Safari Tanzania
Other arrangements put together by self.
Travellers included my husband and 22 year old daughter
Week one Mumbai - to see family
Flight from Mumbai to Kenya by Emirates via Dubai
Overnight Hilton - a little tired but perfectly fine for a one nighter. Having been fed well at the Emirates Biz class lounge and flight only ate breakfast there. Breakfast was standard.
August 20th 3 nights at Little Governors
August 23 night Serena Arusha
August 24 three nights Sayari Northern Serengeti
August 27 one night Serena Ngorogoro Crater
August 28th one night Intercontinental Nairobi
August 29 in flight
August 30th one night Burj al Arab
August 31 one night Jumeirah Emirates Towers ( free night from airline)
then back home to Toronto

Little Governors

Chelli picked us up from the hotel 15 minutes later than we expected so we had a couple of anxious minutes and a phone call to them but othewise all was well. The Air Kenya flight to the Musaira strip was a little tight space wise but uneventful - we were lucky to be the first stop so a short while later we reached Little Governors.

We were given two rooms immediately near the lounge ( Rm 7 and 8). Realized very soon that the noise of lunching and dining would continue and intrude so asked for a change for 7 which was closest and was given Rm 15 in exchange. 15 is further down the marsh with nicer beds. The next day we were given 16 so the two rooms were side by side. The rooms were perfectly adequate with hot and cold runnning water and an attentive staff. Laundry was returned washed and ironed.
On our first game drive we were given a mini van type of vehicle which was not at all acceptable to us so on discussion with the manager George Murray a compromise was reached and he sent us off on a game drive using one of the balloon safari vehicles for that night but from the next morning until the time we would leave we were to have an open safari landrover type vehicle for the three of us alone.
Our first game drive - shaken up on very bumpy roads and a lot more of bumps to come.... We saw all the usual suspects some beautiful masai giraffes plus a few sleepy lions that lifted their heads now and then. We were mostly in awe of the plains of the mara so different from our trip to Londolozi and Phinda last year. Vultures were eating off a zebra carcass - first time we had seen this.

Balloon Safari:
We began day two with a balloon ride, a first for us all. We had hoped to see thousands of wildebeests but it was not to be. The migration had not reached this part of the Mara. We nevertheless had an exhilirating experience and came down on the other side of the Mara with a bump or two and a gentle flip over on our backs. At a hearty breakfast we met a host of people and strangely enough the topic of conversation was Rudi Giulani.

Our very own landrover with driver/guide Robert was there to pick us up and we after a quick breakfast we left with him. Since we were already southwest we asked him to take us to the area where the wildebeests were. These had come down from the Loita plains = or so we were told - they dotted the landscape like so many ants as far as the eye could see - grazing, sitting and gnuing . It was our first sight of the 'migration' for which we had come to East Africa and we were happy to see this. I was particularly happy to see this sight as I had convinced my husband to make this trip solely for this and the hope of a river crossing.

We had a long game drive saw some lions snacking on a wildebeest - they were not really hungry had eaten already but munched lazily, a group of cheetahs surrounded by a host of mini vans and saw the various crossing points across the Mara in the Mara Serena area with no animals in sight.

That evening game drive we went to the crossing areas on the other side of the river and just 45 minutes from LG. There were a few animals there - Zebra and Wildebeests but no action. Saw some Lion cubs though - delightful.

The next morning with a boxed lunch we set out for the crossing points. Went first to see the ridge pride - 18 in number but we saw six. They had killed a wildebeest and the carcass was watched over by a young male. The others were not very active probably were well fed but every now and then would pose for us which was cute. We are definitely cat lovers so all three of us were delighted.

At noon we staked our position by the river along with a host of other vehicles of all types. We were provided an excellent boxed lunch - a piece of roast chicken, a ham and cheese sandwich, juice, cheese and crackers, apple pie, cherry cake, as orange and banana for each of us so were were able to snack at will. The long wait was punctuated by some interesting interactions between the zebra on either side of the river. They would communicate loudly to each other shaking their heads, come up to the river followed by the wildebeests and then turn tail. Finally after a three hour wait a few of them - about 50 crossed the river. It wasnt the crossing we had hoped for but the interaction among the zebra between the head zebra and his henchmen and those on the other side was extremely interesting .

That evening and the next morning we did a couple of game drives saw part of another pride and saw some of the wildebeest herds which had now reached closer to Little Governors.

The Little Governors location is delightful. Cool breezes blow across the marsh and it is well treed. The warthog families dart about, elephants frolic in the marsh on a regular basis. In fact one night we were wakened by the sound of elephants right outside our tent at 5 am.
The food was buffet style for breakfast and lunch with table service at dinner. Liquor was not included in the price but the prices were very reasonable. We were extremely happy with our choice but a little sad that we hadnt seen the type of crossing we had seen before on TV. Still our days at Sayari were yet to come.

15 Replies |Back to top

Sign in to comment.