My wife and I went to Dubai a few years back (March 2002) and we had a good time there (check out the trip report on http://gardkarlsen.com/dubai.htm ). The other day I talked to a guy who had lived in Dubai for for a year in 2002 and he said that he could hardly recognize the place when he returned in 2005. I see that they have been building like crazy over the years so I guess a lot will change there.
But I have also gotten the impression that Dubai is becoming more of an expensive destination. Or is my impression totally wrong? Is Dubai still an affordable destination? When we went there is 2002 we stayed in Bur Dubai and we ate at many local places in town and we only went out to places like Jumeirah on day trips. I did find quite a lot of good offers in the malls and I came home with stuff like shoes, squash rackets...even a surround sound amplifier Is it still a shopping paradise?
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Qatar to Iran
- 2 Sharm el Sheikh - Anyone been recently
- 3 Morocco 10 day Itinerary
- 4 Lebanon Spring 2018
- 5 Sept in Dubai. what to wear
- 6 Ethiopian Tour operators
- 7 visiting Ethiopia as a single female on a low budget
- 8 Tanzanian Tour Operators
- 9 electric devices
- 10 Flying from Florida to Dubai
- 11 Advice on private tour Morocco
- 12 Victoria Falls
- 13 Morocco--rent motorcycle without license
- 14 sahara desert
- 15 Erta Ale ETHIOPIA - any updates?
- 16 STONE TOWN hotel recommendation for 1/14/18
- 17 Feedback on 2-Week South Africa Itinerary?
- 18 Private driver in Morocco
- 19 Private tours in Morocco
- 20 Morocco Expert Tours
- 21 East Africa (Tanzania) or South (Botswana) Middle June 2018
- 22 Mid range hotel/lodge in Arusha
- 23 Kilimanjaro
- 24 Keep watching the news and DON'T believe my trip report
- 25 Zanzibar Anyone?