Africa & the Middle East Forums

Post New Topic

Recent Activity

  • Announcement:
  • Come explore the new Fodor’s Forum
    by ibobi Fodor's Editor | Posted on Dec 4, 17 at 08:03 PM
View all Africa & the Middle East activity »
  1. 1 CANON printer 1:800:681:7208 contact installations canon Tec*h care 24*7
  2. 2 Advice on private tour Morocco
  3. 3 Safety in Johannesburg
  4. 4 Leishmaniasis Common? - Marrakech?
  5. 5 Safari is set!
  6. 6 Car Rental in Morocco
  7. 7 Frights to Iran from Bishkek or Tashkent
  8. 8 9 days itinerary help and some other questions
  9. 9 Tanzania and Kenya Trip 2018 - advise needed
  10. 10 Morocco 10 day Itinerary
  11. 11 South Africa: WESTERN CAPE in spring: Need HELP getting addicted!
  12. 12 Qatar to Iran
  13. 13 Sharm el Sheikh - Anyone been recently
  14. 14 Lebanon Spring 2018
  15. 15 Sept in Dubai. what to wear
  16. 16 Ethiopian Tour operators
  17. 17 visiting Ethiopia as a single female on a low budget
  18. 18 Tanzanian Tour Operators
  19. 19 electric devices
  20. 20 Flying from Florida to Dubai
  21. 21 Victoria Falls
  22. 22 Morocco--rent motorcycle without license
  23. 23 sahara desert
  24. 24 Erta Ale ETHIOPIA - any updates?
  25. 25 STONE TOWN hotel recommendation for 1/14/18
View next 25 » Back to the top

Honey's Cubs

Jump to last reply

I’m just back from Kenya and the Masai Mara.

I have to report that Honey’s three cubs are doing well. We ran into Jonathan Scott at a river crossing in the Rhino Ridge area one afternoon, not having seen a crossing. He wanted to know if we had spotted the three cheetahs. I immediately recognized him from the Big Cat Diary and inquired if they were Honey’s cubs. Indeed they were and he said they were in the area. We exchanged sorrow over little Toto. Jonathan admitted it was one of his weakest moments ever when little Toto went missing. He so wanted to help little Toto fight the baboons etc.

Jonathan had an idea where to find Honey’s cubs, so we followed him to a lone acacia tree and there ... resting in the shade, were the three cubs. Jonathan was alone in his Big Cat Diary vehicle, but I saw no cameras in his specially designed side “pocket” area. The cubs were resting peacefully and seemed very healthy. I could see a little baby fuzz still on their necks. I assume that they are about two years old now if they were about 5 months old when Honey died on February 17, 2007. They are tall, strong and gorgeous. My guide Melvin said that he’s seen them take down topies; sorry Nyamera, but this is so. Anup Shah was in camp with us and he’s seen them take down wildebeest also. Anup Shaw is a prize winning photographer and contributor to National Geographic Magazine; his images can be seen here:

Two days later, on the way to look for a crossing (which we never did see), we found the cubs again, but this time they were 40 km away in the Burrungat Plains. Again, they were resting under a lone acacia tree, but fidgety. They seemed to be hungry and were on the lookout. There was no signs of Jonathan Scott, the BBC film crew or Anup Shah, who we ran into sitting by a burrow since 5am, where a mama serval cat was hiding with two small cubs; he was waiting for them to emerge, but he didn’t see them again and left by 8pm. That’s how you get good pictures … sometimes. He was there for 2 and a half months in camp.

Honey’s cubs were very interested in some gazelles over the ridge, but they were far away and kept walking away. Then they spotted a few wildies coming over a ridge on the other side followed by about 10 zebras. The wildies kept on dancing like they do and soon disappeared, but the dazzle of zebras kept coming closer. The cubs were intently staring their way. I asked Melvin if they would go for a zebra and he thought not. But they were so interested. Would they? Soon Melvin was on the roof of the car and asked Tom (my husband) jokingly to take the wheel. Are they going for the zebras???? They were certainly intently staring in that direction. Soon, they were stalking them. NO WAY!!!! That’s a big animal and these are cubs still, after all. My goodness! Incredible decision!

It didn’t take long. The grass was fairly tall as it has been raining in the Mara on and off this winter, so they were camouflaged enough, but we could still see them. It was noon when we found them and there were only about 5 vehicles around. The Mara was very empty. We never saw more than a few vehicles all day. We were there for 5 days.

The zebras were unaware and kept coming. The dominant brother gave chase. It happened very fast. There was no time for pictures, but I followed the entire chase and the kill in my binoculars. Tom got some video. They let all the zebras pass; then they choose the third one from the end, a young female, but she was just about fully grown. It happened very fast. They are “killing machines” already, these cubs. AMAZING!!!! From all accounts, this was their first zebra. Melvin never imagined he’s see this and Anup didn’t believe it. A few more vehicles arrived after the kill, but not many. There were less than 10 at all times.

The cubs have established who the leader is; he did the strangling and called for the chase. When he ate, he would growl at his brothers to keep their distance, so they rested in the shade under the vehicles or played sentry. They took turns eating and guarding the carcass. No lions or hyenas appeared. About one o’clock a few vultures arrived, but they sat in the two trees available. Soon the trees were full of vultures, but they waited patiently as they had the time … pole, pole! The cubs ate slowly, panting hard. After the kill it took almost an hour before the cubs really starting eating; not until the vultures started arriving did they get serious about eating. They were exhausted after the chase and it was hot in the sun. By three o’clock, the vultures flew down one by one and landed in back of the kill. The dominant brother chased them back a few times until he was done eating and left. The other brothers were still eating, but the vultures very slowly moved closer. Soon the second brother also left the kill and the vultures got bolder and chased off the last cub. Within 20 minutes the bones were bare. It was now 4 o’clock and there was nothing left of this drama, but the bones. Even the vultures left. The afternoon vehicles started arriving as we were leaving around 4:30 pm. You snooze … you loose!!

I just can’t believe that I saw this. Unbelievable!!!

29 Replies |Back to top

Sign in to comment.