Africa & the Middle East Forums

Post New Topic

Recent Activity

  • Announcements:
  • Come explore the new Fodor’s Forum
    by ibobi Fodor's Editor | Posted on Dec 4, 17 at 08:03 PM
  • New Fodor’s forum -- coming soon!
    by ibobi Fodor's Editor | Posted on Nov 29, 17 at 08:01 PM
View all Africa & the Middle East activity »
  1. 1 MCAFEE $$ renewal Installation CONTACT ☎1888 279 0246 MCAFEE Tec*h24/7
  2. 2 Morocco 10 day Itinerary
  3. 3 Qatar to Iran
  4. 4 Sharm el Sheikh - Anyone been recently
  5. 5 Lebanon Spring 2018
  6. 6 Sept in Dubai. what to wear
  7. 7 Ethiopian Tour operators
  8. 8 visiting Ethiopia as a single female on a low budget
  9. 9 Tanzanian Tour Operators
  10. 10 electric devices
  11. 11 Flying from Florida to Dubai
  12. 12 Advice on private tour Morocco
  13. 13 Victoria Falls
  14. 14 Morocco--rent motorcycle without license
  15. 15 sahara desert
  16. 16 Erta Ale ETHIOPIA - any updates?
  17. 17 STONE TOWN hotel recommendation for 1/14/18
  18. 18 Feedback on 2-Week South Africa Itinerary?
  19. 19 Private driver in Morocco
  20. 20 Private tours in Morocco
  21. 21 Morocco Expert Tours
  22. 22 East Africa (Tanzania) or South (Botswana) Middle June 2018
  23. 23 Mid range hotel/lodge in Arusha
  24. 24 Kilimanjaro
  25. 25 Trip Report Keep watching the news and DON'T believe my trip report
View next 25 » Back to the top

Honeymoon Tanzania & Pemba Sept 2005

Jump to last reply

We just got back from our honeymoon to Tanzania and Pemba today and LOVED IT!!!!

Shortly, I will write a comprehensive trip report to describe the park, accomodations, travel agency etc.

We traveled with Tanzania Serengeti Adventure and everything worked out very well.

I am now also uploading all the photo's!

  • Report Abuse

    First, I would like to thank everybody who helped us to plan our honeymoon and those helping me to choose the camera!!!
    The holiday was just perfect and we enjoyed ourselves every minute. There are so many things you just cannot explain in words or pictures, like standing in the car looking at nature, the different smells, the fun you have with your wife / friends / guide, waking up at Pemba and having the beautiful view, the wonderful food at Fundu Lagoon, the noises of the Hippos at the Migration Camp etc, etc, etc).

    I will write the report per area and resort in order to keep it a bit tidy, but first some general remarks.

    Before we went on holiday, we did not have a good camera (a 3.2 megapixel samsung without optical zoom). Buying the Panasonic FZ-5 (12x optical zoom) was the best thing we did to prepare for the safari!!! You really need the optical zoom to be able to capture the animals you see. Don't let the salesmen fool you into thinking that digital zoom will suffice.

    Some of the pictures on Pemba were taken with the older camera, because I was afraid to take my new camera in the boat and to the beach.

    Normally I do not take a lot of pictures, but on safari it is like hunting. You want to keep a memory of every animal you see. And because of the dozens and dozens of different animals you will see, you will probably be taking a lot of pictures. Every night we went through the pictures we had taken and deleted all the ones we did not want to keep. By working like this, we kept the amount of pictures around 460 (plus some on the older camera we brought and some on a discartable waterproof camera to take pictures of the snorkling). I had taken a 1 gig memory card and one of 256 Mb for the older camera.

    You can find our pictures on:

    It was my fist time to use something else than the most simple point-and-shoot camera, so do not expect masterworks, but feel free to comment or give suggestions.

    Next to the Malerone tablets (malaria), we took some basic medication with us (repellant, painkillers, aspirines, iodine, some sterilized water to clear the eyes, spray for throat, disinfectant etc). One good thing we also took too was Loperamide. You are bound to get some problems in your digestive system and you do not want to have your bowels racing around if you have to spend many hours in a car (especially if you have seen the toilets in the bush).

    We packed light for this holiday as was suggested in the many topics I had read.
    I took:
    -two safari zip-off pants
    -about 5 t-shirts
    -two jeans
    -two swimming shorts
    -two sweaters
    -one waterproof coat
    -one shirt
    -two pair of shoes

    If you have spare room in your bag, bring some pens for the kids there. We saw many kids asking for them, but unfortunately we did not have any to give them. When starting the trip, you are normally able to buy water bottles. Buy an extra case to distribute to people in the really dry areas!!!!

    We stayed at the following lodges / areas:
    -Arusha Bungalows / Arusha (1 night)
    -Sopa Lodge / Tarangire (1 night)
    -E-Unoto lodge / Manyara (1 night)
    -Farm House / Ngorongoro (1 night)
    -Ndutu Lodge / Ndutu (1 night)
    -Migration Camp / Serengeti (1 night)
    -Fundu Lagoon / Pemba (6 nights)

    Beloew you will find a description per area:

  • Report Abuse

    I'm having trouble viewing your album. Is anyone else having trouble? I've tried copying/pasting the link into my browser and logging into snapfish, but the album doesn't show up. What am I doing wrong?

    On another note, glad to hear you had a great trip and looking forward to your report.

  • Report Abuse

    P.S. It will take some time for all the pictures to appear. It takes quite a while to upload everything! My apologies for the very long story. Because my English is not perfect, it is slightly harder to write a more entertaining story.

    After our wedding on September 10th in Portugal (my wife is Portuguese, I am Dutch) , we flew back to the Netherlands (where we live). Unfortunately, we still had to pack for our honeymoon and we fell asleep quite late, only to wake up at 5:00 in the morning to go to the airport. When we arrive at Kilimanjaro, our guide Hashim of Tanzania Serengeti Adventures (TSA) picked us up. Eager as I am, I already spotted the first animal when driving through Arusha. Unfortunately it turned out to be a stray dog. Or Hashim put it: We're still in a city, do not expect to see a lot of wild animals yet ;)

    Throughout the whole tour he was driving carefully, gave lots of information on everything and really took care of us. We saw some other groups with less careful guides racing around in their car and doing some really stupid things like eating outside of the care in the Ngorongoro Crater.

    We spend our first night at the Arusha Bungalows, which is owned by TSA. The accomodation is simple, but very nice and clean. The day after we woke up early for the payment and the briefing.

    After this we drove off to Tarangire and the safari finally begun! On the way we stopped at a cute snake farm where to also kept some crocks, turtles and birds. We found that the Tanzanian people like to scare tourists a bit with the stories about the animals. Next to the python you saw a picture of a giant python which had swallowed a person (a leg was sticking out of the cut-open snake). Every snake had a nice sign stating how poisonous it is, the symptoms you get after a bit and how long it takes to die (the winner is the black mambo: you die in 20 minutes!). In the Tarangire Park, we got all excited when we saw the first zebras and took lots of pictures. Same thing after that for the first impala, elephant, giraffe, wildebeast, baboon etc etc). It must be funny for the guides to see people getting out of their minds because of an animal as common as a cow (at least for them).

    Hashim pointed towards a very big Cobra hanging in the tree above us. My enthusiasm for the snakes was tempered a bit when he told me that his father had died of a bite of the Egyptian Cobra.

    Of all the lodges, we did like the Sopa lodge least, because we simply loved the atmosphere of the smaller lodges. This does not say anything about the quality of the lodge, though. The rooms were nice and the food was good, but we just missed the personal approach we found in the other smaller camps. On the way to our room we passed a Hyrax (a very cool name for a large Rabbit hanging helplessly upside down, trying to flee from us by climbing a small wall).

    At the reception, I managed to embarrass myself because of my eagerness to learn some word in Swahili. One of the girls sais something that sounded like "Optoo seeyu bak". With a great smile I repeated the sentence twice and asked the meaning of the sentence. A small kick of my wife told me that I was making an ass of myself and se explained me a bit later that the girl at the reception was saying "Hope to see you back"! Oops...

    Next day we woke up at 6:00 again to go for a morning drive in Tarangire. The Baobab trees in the park are beautiful!
    After the drive we headed to the E-Unoto lodge to have lunch and drop off our luggage.

  • Report Abuse

    The new link works fine. I don't think the Fodors board has the capability of editing individual posts (even by board moderators) but I could be wrong. I have only seen entire posts or threads deleted here. In any case, I'm sure readers will scroll down to see your new link.

    I'm off to view your pics. Thanks for sharing!

  • Report Abuse

    Pictures are amazing! Hope that we get some as good as yours in the next 2 weeks! We just bought an FZ30. Question for you - what setting are most of these pictures on?

    I am particularly interested in hearing about Fundu - we are there for 4 days after visiting the Masai Mara, Arusha, Tarangire and the Crater - we leave on Friday!! Thanks again and congrats on the wedding!

  • Report Abuse

    Just a short reply for Lorib.

    The report of Fundu Lagoon will come later, but it was the best place we stayed at. It is a wonder we did not come back 10kg heavier, because the food is delicious.

    Do you like diving? We had never done it so we took a one day Scuba diving introduction and it was superb. Please say hello to Cindy and Russel of the diving center (from Luísa and Marijn). We now have a beautiful movie of our day and everybody is amazed by the quality of the movie and the beauty of the reef.

  • Report Abuse

    Manyara / E-Unoto:

    To get to the E-Unoto lodge, you first have to drive through the desert for half an hour. During the drive you see a lot of Masai living in the dryest area I have every seen (I come from the Netherlands, so maybe it does not say a lot, but it was pretty damn dry!). The only thing besides the masai we saw, were termite hills and dust devils (dust devils are small funny twisters).

    It is very hard to imagine that they are able to survive here and it was a pity that we did not have more water to distrubute among the children.

    A little while later, you suddenly arrive in a lush green valley. We asked ourselves why the Masai are not living in that area, but our guide told us that they prefer the open plains. It might also be that they were given certain areas to live in. The E-Unoto lodge is a blast!! The view from the room was spectacular!! On one side you have the Great rift, below you see a small lake, birds are flying everywhere.

    During our lunch the nice scary stories came up again. While looking at a small lizard, a waiter informed us that there are also bigger savannah lizards around, which are able to suck you brain through your nose!! We laughted a bit about the story and told our guide the story. He laughed too and confirmed that the story is true... :s

    Apparently, this lizard has two separate tongues, each half a meter long which he can insert into your nose and start sucking way! He explained that you would have to be sleeping in the bushes and be very drunk not to mention a big lizard sitting on your face. Still the story kept us thinking and we double-checked all doors and windows.

    After a small nap, we went to Manyara Park. The roads were very dusty and soon we had gravel in our eyes, ears and hair. In the park we saw a lot of different animals and a nive hippo pool.

    When we entered the plains we had the most surrealistic view. About 30 giraffes were just standing there. The view had a Salvador-Dali-like quality, because they were just standing there, like statues.

    At a certain point we saw a tree climbing lion, but there were so many cars standing there that it annoyed me a bit. If you see something extraordinary, please look at it, take pictures and move on. Two cars were standing right there for a very long time, basically blocking the view for everybody else.

    The only downside of the lodge was that the windows did not have glass, but a grid (to keep animals outside). During the night, we experienced quite a storm, which made the curtains hang horizontally against the ceiling. It kept us awake for two hours...

    But still, we loved the lodge and the staff was very friendly. The lodge also supports the Masai community and gives you the possibility to visit a Masai village, which is an important source of income for them and enables them to buy medicines for themselves and their cattle. We chose not to visit the village, because we do not like the idea of intruding in their lives and taking pictures of them as if they are a curiosity.

    Again, we woke up very early and left at 6:30 to Ngorongoro.

  • Report Abuse

    Your report is hilarious! You had me cracking up over the 'hope to see you back' and lizard stories!!! :))

    Like you, we also found that we much preferred the smaller camps and lodges.

    Anxiously awaiting more :)

  • Report Abuse

    This is probably the funniest trip report yet. I just love the way you tell this story (a great sense of humor - so real)... and the tales told to you. The lizard is a good one, but something to watch out for the next time any one of us has been bending the elbow too much! Or for that matter falling flat on our face in the middle of the plains!

    "oops to ear mooor soon"

    That's a sad interpretation, but this is so much fun!

    More, more..............

  • Report Abuse

    We arrived at the Ngorongoro Farm house at 08:30 to drop the luggage and pick up lunch boxes. Unfortunately, we had to wait until 09:00 to get the boxes, so we took a tea and smoked a cigarette.

    A note for the smokers: smoking is no problem as long you do not bother other people or throw your ash and cigarette away. Because we had a private safari, we were even allowed to smoke in the car (the rooftop was open). We kept all the ash and cigarette butts in a bottle with a bit of water. We were very happy to have a private vehicle (a nice efender). We saw some vans with lots of people inside and I can only imagine the difference. It has the advantage of being able to talk to more people, but we did not need this on our honeymoon. We were able to stop when we wanted without bothering other persons, nor did we have to stop because somebody else needed 15 minutes to take a million shots of a birds nor did we have to stop every 15 minutes because somebody had to go to the bathroom. While re-reading this part, it looks a bit spoiled to put it this way. We were lucky to have some extra money because this was our honeymoon and I am sure that the experience is also amazing when you share a van with other people. But given the opportunity……

    Contact TSA for a quote. You will get a private vehicle and their price was much better than their competitors (I am in no way associated to TSA, by the way).

    When we got the lunchboxes, we ascended the Ngorongoro crater. We passed some very dangerous looking buses full of local people and luggage, which seemed to have a lot of difficulty to keep moving on the steep roads. We also encountered two jeeps with tourists having problems with their car.

    The view on top of the mountain into the crater is something that’s not possible to describe with words. The pictures I took do not nearly describe the beauty of this place. You look into the giant crater and see the herds below. AMAZING!!

    It took another 30-45 minutes to descend (with squeaking brakes) into the crater. We heard before from some other tourists, that they did not really like the crater because of the amount of cars inside. Either we went on a calm day or it was because of the size of the place and the wide view you have, but I was not bothered at all by the other cars. Even if many other cars were standing still to look at an animal, you would still be capable of seeing them very well, because there are no trees, contrary to Manyara. We spotted a cheetah quite far away, but because of the good zoom it seems that he was quite near us!

    We couldn’t believe how unimpressed the lions were with our presence. They would be lying a few meters from our car and not even look around! Then we faced The Big Dilemma. Some female lions were clearly hunting and drawling over a herd of zebras. Their hunt can take hours and then they might still give up. Because we wanted to see all the other game, we went away and saw the black rhino, hippos and many other animals. When we came back, one of the lions had a zebra and was waiting for the male lion to arrive. Women can sure learn a lot from the behaviour of this animal! They do all the hunting while the male is working on his tan and when they catch something, they have to wait for the male to start eating. My girlfriend wife was not impressed and I will continue cooking at our home…

    At lunchtime we stopped at the pick nick site of Ngorongoro. The view is gorgeous (my English is not rich enough to keep coming with new words to express the beauty of the places). Our guide asked us to have our lunch in the car, because of the Black Kites (big prey birds) around. Soon it became clear why he suggested this. Some tourists were eating outside and the Black Kites were stealing the sandwiches and chicken from their hands (and wounding at least one while we were there). We watched one woman eating her chicken in a horrible way, with pieces of the chicken hanging out of her mouth and grease all over the face. Those birds could easily take out half your face, lips and eyes in order to get the chicken. She got away unharmed and laughing ignorantly when a kite stole some bread out of her hands. Would have made another scary story though!

    Back to the Farm House, we had to ascend the Crater on very steep roads quite close to a ravine. Of course our guide told us that many cars are not able to climb that much, slide back, and fall into the ravine. According to him, several people died that way. Let me just make it clear that I am not a very big fan of heights or ascending roads close to a ravine and you will understand how I felt…

    Arriving at the Ngorongoro Farm house, our guide spotted one of his former colleagues (the chef cook). This guy is really hilarious and friendly. We heard some great stories of the two of them camping at Kila Matiti (probably spelled wrong, but according to them it means something like Titty Mountains, because of the shape of the mountains). Of course, no lack of dangerous adventures in their stories! Next to the fantastic story-telling, the cook also knew his way around the kitchen and we had a marvellous soup that night. After dinner, the fireplace in the room was lit, which was a very nice surprise. We fell asleep early again, because the day after we had to drive to Olduvai Gorge and to Ndutu after that.

  • Report Abuse

    Olduvai Gorge, Ndutu & Serengeti:

    The drive from Ngorongoro to Ndutu was pretty long. Fortunately, Olduvai Gorge is somewhere in the middle and makes for a very nice break. My wife bought some things at the shop, while I was looking at the Masai spears. She got a bit worried with carrying a spear on the plan and convinced me not to buy it.

    The toilet here was a nice experience again. The little holes in the ground make a hard target for the many tourists with bowel problems that pass there. The open tank below was probably also quite full!! They were constructing a new washroom in this area. We had our lunch at this site with another beautiful view. Then we continued the drive to Ndutu.

    Our guide did not make us very enthusiastic for the Ndutu area: “Dusty, Hot, and no animals”! Apparently, this is not the best time of the year to visit the area, because the migration is further north and there are not a lot of resident animals.

    After dropping the luggage at the Ndutu Lodge and having a short rest, we went for a short drive through the area. We saw the most interesting animals of the day at the lodge. They had some rabbits, lots of birds, dikdik, bats and a genet!! The genet is a very funny cat-like animal with a long furry tail.

    The day after, we drove through the Ndutu area to the Serengeti. The Ndutu area is supposed to be a very, very dry area in this period of the year, but when were there we had a bit of rain. On the way to the park entry we came across some Caracals. They are supposed to be a rare spot during the day.
    (I stopped mentioning a lot of other animals like the impalas, gazelles, ostriches, monkeys, because we saw so many of them already).

    The Serengeti with its great plains had a surprising diversity of landscapes. We liked the various “kopjes” very much. We found an adult male lion lying in the grass and it stayed so calm while we were passing that it barely moved its head. The lions seem so peaceful that it sometimes surprises some people. In the Ngorongoro crater, somebody was filming lions several hundreds of meters away, while sitting on top of the jeep, when somebody else tapped him on the back to explain that another lion was walking just below him. According to our guide, sitting on top of the Jeep is strictly forbidden, because if you loose balance or get a dizzy spell, you could fall out and the lions are a lot quicker than they seem. The ranger could fine you USD 500.00 for this.

    In the Serengeti we found some other lions, having a siesta on a tree. They look a bit large XL pussycats when they are lounging on a tree. A bit further away, a female lion was watching a big herd of buffalos and started approaching them slowly. The herd got a bit nervous, because they had to pass a tricky bit of bush and dried river. When the lion got closer, she realized that she would need the cooperation of her colleagues to catch these buffalos and she discontinued the hunting.

    At the following lunch spot, some hyraxes and mongooses were walking around. You are not allowed to feed these animals or the birds, but the temptation was just to big for many tourists (until a ranger came to stop them).

    After lunch we visited the hippo pool of the Serengeti. We were allowed to leave the car here to have a good look at them. It is an incredible sight to see about 50 hippos in a pool. We were just wondering how they fitted in there. Before this encounter, my wife thought the hippos the most funny and cute animal, but after seeing 50 of them floating in their little islands of shit (imagine a small pool and keep adding the daily amount of shit a hippo produces and you have a clue what it looks and smells like after many years).
    Nobody could resist making a face when we saw a hippo gargling below the surface.

    A small hippo got a bit curious when he noticed a small crocodile and approached the crock for some sniffing. The little crock felt scared and snapped at the hippo and the hippo tottered away.

    We saw many other animals on our way to the Migration Camp (and a funny small baboon on the back of one of his parents). I already had high expectations of the Migration Camp, because of everything I had read on the internet, but it exceeded my expectations by far! Calling those accommodation tents is very hilarious. Before showing the pictures of the camp we told people that we had been camping. When you show the actual pictures, the reaction is always the same: Is that whole thing a tent for only the two of you? You can sit on the veranda of the tent and hear the hippos in the local pool. When we walked back to the reception/restaurant/bar area, we also saw two dikdik crossing our path.

    The lounge area is superb and if you get tired of the couches, you can always go to the deck and sit close to the fire. After a very good dinner, you walk back to the tent with somebody of the staff, because during the evening and night, the hippos and buffalos are walking through the site. We loved the decoration of the tents with its colonial atmosphere. Fortunately, we stayed two nights at this camp!

    We had one full day drive in the Serengeti in addition to the shorter drive the day before and the morning drive the day after. During the full day drive we lunched in the Serengeti and we just had to take a picture of the toilet.

    The last day of our Safari we had a drive on our way to the airstrip. Before arriving there we found some lions with a fresh kill (a ripped open zebra) and another carcass with some vultures having the remains of a zebra for dinner (they are very thorough!).

    We also stopped at some small local shops to buy cigarettes and to go to the toilet. Close to the toilet, about 5 Marabu Storks were walking around. These birds look like big prehistoric birds and when standing up they are about 1.50 meters high. I would estimate the size of there beak to be around 40 centimeters; enough to make some new scary stories.

    We were looking around for the airport when we arrived at the Serengeti Airstrip, but you will only find a bar and toilet near the strip. Our tickets clearly stated that we would have to be there one hour in advance for check in, so we looked around for somewhere to check in. When saw other people boarding another plan, we understand that the only thing you have to do it state your name to the pilot, who will look your name up on his list. After that it was quite easy to make a lot of jokes when comparing it to the airports we had seen before (please proceed to gate 16, please put your luggage on the belt etc).

    While we were waiting in the plane, the pilot was having a loud telephone conversation just outside the plane. He was shouting about problems with the landing gear, which parts he would need and that he did not want to land in Klein’s camp before, because he was afraid to have an accident. After that, no maintenance or anything was done on the plane and we were taking off! The passengers suddenly all lost the tan they had carefully built up in the previous days!! Everything went well, although I had to get used to flying in a small plane. I had only flown in big planes before.

    Hopefully I will be able to finish the report tonight. I think that this forum would really benefit from having a possibility to edit posts. Just entering the right website address in the first post and changing the title of the post would be a good thing.

  • Report Abuse

    Pemba / Fundu Lagoon:

    In order to get to Fundu Lagoon from the Serengeti, you take a plane to Zanzibar (which stops in Arusha too). Then in Zanzibar you switch to an even smaller plane (12 persons including the pilot). We thought the plane was full when another person entered, but apparently they also sell the co-pilot seat! The pilot just asked her not to touch any buttons!!

    When you arrive at the island Pemba, you still have to ride for about 45 minutes and in Chake Chake you will then take the speedboat for another 30 minutes to Fundu Lagoon.

    It takes quite a while to get there, but it is worth every minute you have to travel. We stayed 6 nights at Fundu and we were really happy that we have spent some more time at Fundu than when we were planning when we started.

    When we arrived a bottle of Champagne was waiting in our tent and we had a glass while watching the sunset. This was surely the perfect kick off for this week. The day after, we walked around a bit in the morning (still used to getting up early) and stayed a bit on the beach. The beach at the resort is not nearly as nice as the beach on Mesali Island. We were lying there and a lot of local people were passing us on their way to work (getting clams at a point of the island?). Especially my girlfriend did not really like that they were looking at her, because she was afraid to offend them by bathing in her bikini (I do not think this was the case: they were all smiling and saying hello).

    In the afternoon we took the snorkeling boat to Mesali Island. The island seems to come from a commercial. The water is very clear and when you enter the water at low tide (watch the urchins) you will see a lot of coral and many different fishes. Snorkeling there is just amazing. All the colors and different animals. Because I never dove before it was a very nice experience. The boat to Mesali costs USD 20 and you can go for a full day or half a day (morning or afternoon). If you stay the whole day, notify the waiter at Fundu a day before and they will bring you a very nice lunch!!!

    On Wednesday, we went to Mesali again and we had bad luck with the weather. Most of the day it was raining, but still we had fun on the beach reading our books. Some locals are playing checkers and bau (a local game) all day on a desk on the beach. This wooden table in the sand has a sign on it saying “Mesali Project Office”. I still regret not taking a picture of this, because it looked hilarious. The combination of the locals playing checkers, the table in the sun and the machine gun leaning against the table would have given a very nice picture.

    Thursday morning we got up early for fishing! It was so nice to wake up on the catamaran with a croissant, some nice music and good weather. We saw some dolphins, flying fishes, turtles, crabs etc. My wife caught a Kingfish of 6 Kg! This was a weight record for this type of fish for Fundu Lagoon. Unfortunately, I did not catch anything, so we booked for Saturday right away. At the night we had the fish for dinner: Kingfish Sashimi as a starter and Grilled Kingfish as the main course.

    During the night you will hear the bush babies screaming and laughing. One night, my wife was convinced that we had an intruder in our tent and she woke me up. Even though I was still sleeping a bit, I was alert enough to remind her that we should have bought the Masai spear at Olduvai Gorge. Of course, she had heard some animals outside our tent.

    For Friday, we had booked an introduction to Scuba Diving (our first time diving!). After watching a video, we went to Mesali Island by boat and started to train our skills in the water. Rapidly, I earned the nickname “The Cork”, because I was always tending to go up in the water. The only excuse I can come up with is that the belt was maybe not heavy enough, but nobody believed me. The first 20 minutes we were so concentrated that we did not really notice the beautiful environment around us. There are so many colors and different animals!!!
    Fortunately, Russel shot a video of the day, so we are able to see everything again. This is also my suggestion for Fundu: If you have never dived, do the introduction day and have the video made. It is the best souvenir you can get and you will have a very nice day. Russel and Cindy (the couple running the diving center) were very friendly and they were able to edit the diving video in such a way that I look a bit less like Mr. Bean under water J

    If you are going to Fundu Lagoon, please say hi to them from Luísa and Marijn!!

    In the evening we had a sunset cruise with a group on a traditional dhow boat. It turned out that 4 of the 5 couples on the boat got married on the 10th of September too! We all went to the bar and had a lot of fun with the other people.

    Saturday we went fishing. This day was not about fun: I needed my revenge!!! It seemed like the nature gods were against me, because as soon as we left it started pooring. It got a bit cold, so my wife went inside the catamaran for a nap. I refused to leave the rods, because I really wanted to catch a fish.

    Some hours later (!!!) it stopped raining (I was soaking) and a bit of sun came through. My wife came back on the deck again and a bit later I had a fish. Due to our competitive nature (I had been hearing her stories for the last days) I was very happy to score the 1-1. I was still getting my fish in when her rod also showed that she had a fish. Life is just not fair. She caught a nap while I was enduring the rain and cold and she managed to wake up in time to catch the fish! Both fishes were smaller than the first fish (both 4 kg), so I still have to hear all the stories….

    In the afternoon, my wife had her hands painted with Henna by a local woman. It was impressive to see how fast she was able to work and how beautiful it looked!

    Again we had our fish for dinner: Kingfish Ceviche for starter and as a main course we had a plate with Kingfish, lobster, gambas, octopus and vegetables. This time, the dinner was not served in the restaurant, but they place our table on the beach. It was wonderful having dinner below the many, many stars!!!

    On our last day we played some Bau and wanted to buy of the bau games in Fundu’s store. They are quite expensive, because it is one big piece of wood cut out of a tree. Unfortunately, the games were having wood worms (do not know the name of the animal) so we did not want to risk it.

    On Sunday our trip came to an end. We went back by boat, car, plane to Zanzibar, plane to Dar es Salaam and then to Amsterdam. Please make sure that you confirm your KLM flight back. They were having some overbookings and one other couple had to stay and extra night in Dar es Salaam.

    Everything about Fundu was great: the staff, the tents, the food, the activities. Now we’re back in the Netherlands to start saving for a next trip and a PADI diving course!!

  • Report Abuse

    Glad you had such a good time and what a way to start a marriage, though you will probably be hearing the fish story for the next 75 years! Congratulation on your wedding and if you travel again, keep us informed, even if not Africa. Your writing style is great and would love to hear more "Adventures of Luisa and Marijn"
    Thanks so much for sharing! :)

  • Report Abuse

    Thank you for the nice reactions!!

    I hope to be able to write more of these reports after such trips!

    Hopefully we will be able to save some cash soon, because we would like to go to Australia next year.

  • Report Abuse

    Do you think it is worthwhile to repost the stories as just one story?

    I think that the title of this thread is not chosen very well. It looks like another thread asking for itinerary help...

  • Report Abuse

    Thank you Marynus “The Cork” and congratulations to you and Luisa. This was so funny. The lizard of the scary story must have been a savannah monitor. I’ve always suspected that behaviour of them. I’m so envious that you saw caracals. Instead of going to Australia you should return to Africa and then write another trip report.

  • Report Abuse

    Marynus -

    I don't think it's necessary to post your trip report at one continuous story. However, you should take the sections of the report, combine them and print it out for yourself and paste into a Trip Journal for safe keeping and future referral. I'm sure you'll enjoy it even more, laugh as much as we all have and finally, have something your children can read in years to come.

31 Replies |Back to top

Sign in to comment.