Africa & the Middle East Forums

Post New Topic

Recent Activity

  • Announcement:
  • Come explore the new Fodor’s Forum
    by ibobi Fodor's Editor | Posted on Dec 4, 17 at 08:03 PM
View all Africa & the Middle East activity »
  1. 1 http://www.healthitcongress.com/aurora-bella-cream/
  2. 2 Safety in Johannesburg
  3. 3 Advice on private tour Morocco
  4. 4 Leishmaniasis Common? - Marrakech?
  5. 5 Safari is set!
  6. 6 Car Rental in Morocco
  7. 7 Frights to Iran from Bishkek or Tashkent
  8. 8 9 days itinerary help and some other questions
  9. 9 Tanzania and Kenya Trip 2018 - advise needed
  10. 10 Morocco 10 day Itinerary
  11. 11 South Africa: WESTERN CAPE in spring: Need HELP getting addicted!
  12. 12 Qatar to Iran
  13. 13 Sharm el Sheikh - Anyone been recently
  14. 14 Lebanon Spring 2018
  15. 15 Sept in Dubai. what to wear
  16. 16 Ethiopian Tour operators
  17. 17 visiting Ethiopia as a single female on a low budget
  18. 18 Tanzanian Tour Operators
  19. 19 electric devices
  20. 20 Flying from Florida to Dubai
  21. 21 Victoria Falls
  22. 22 Morocco--rent motorcycle without license
  23. 23 sahara desert
  24. 24 Erta Ale ETHIOPIA - any updates?
  25. 25 STONE TOWN hotel recommendation for 1/14/18
View next 25 » Back to the top

Help w/Zanzibar (& Fly540), please!

Jump to last reply

I posted back in August asking for ideas for a few days to be spent post-safari in Tanzania, with Zanzibar being top of mind. I received lots of good advice and information--Thank you all!

But now I've acted on some of that advice and am dismayed at how complicated this all is.
Is there a way to make this work? Or should I abandon the idea of a few days on Zanzibar and just return to the States with the safari group? I still have a few days in which I can change my departure date back.

Instead of returning with the group on Dec 22, I decided to return on Dec 27 and see fabled Zanzibar. My flight to the U.S. (via Amsterdam) now leaves from Kilimanjaro on Dec 27.

I booked a flight on Fly540 roundtrip Kilimanjaro-Zanzibar, with departure from Kili on Dec 23 and return on Dec 27.
I would spend the night of Dec 22 at KIA Lodge near Kilimanjaro and also get a day room there for Dec 27. KIA has free transfers to the Kili airport.
I contacted the safari outfitter (Kibo) about arranging hotel and tours on Zanzibar; they referred me to ZanTours. I contacted ZanTours and made arrangements for hotel and some tours.

Now the problems, starting with the most serious:
Fly540 has changed my departure city to Arusha, and they have changed my return flight to Dec 28. They tell me that they have simply changed their schedule, and that's the way it is. The Dec 28 flight is obviously impossible.
If I ask for a refund, do you think I'm likely to get it?
Is there another carrier that won't constantly change its schedule?

KIA said I could pay with a credit card by calling them and providing the number. (I didn't want to send my credit card number in an email.) Without payment, they would cancel the reservation. But they don't answer their phone. When I emailed to ask when would be convenient to call, the response (which I read many hours after it was sent, as it was sent around 4 am my time) was, "Call now. This is a good time."
They answer their phone only by pre-arrangement and at 4 am my time?

ZanTours wrote that everything was arranged, and they would send an invoice. The invoice didn't arrive and didn't arrive. After a couple of emails to them, I got an out-of-office until Oct 20 message from the invoice person.
Although I'm not used to long delays in being billed, I suppose this could still work out.

But if I can't get to/from Zanzibar, it doesn't really matter. Is there a solution? Or should I just eat my $284 airfare if Fly 540 won't give me a refund and abandon my few days on Zanzibar?

Advice greatly appreciated! I thought I'd have this all arranged before September, and it's almost mid October.

Cindy

10 Replies |Back to top

Sign in to comment.

Advertisement