Zimbali or Izulu?

Mar 30th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Zimbali or Izulu?

Does anyone know Zimbali lodge and/or Izulu hotel north of Durban. We will be at either of those two on Xmas eve, dec 24th. I dont know which one to pick, most important is a heavenly elegant Xmas dinner, so which of the two has a better restaurant. Izulu is a member of Relais & Chateaux. Any feedback is well appreciated.
Mar 30th, 2006, 10:10 PM

I know them very well and both are venues of very high standards, however if you are looking for an intimate dinner with fewer diners around then my choice is Izulu as Zimbali could be very busy. Both have top cuisine and service. Have a great stay!
Mar 31st, 2006, 01:48 AM
Original Poster

Hello Zenz, thank you for your reply. Do you know if there is a even a nicer place to stay for Xmas eve? We will be arriving from Europe via Johannesburg in Durban. The 25th we continue the drive up to Thanda Game reserve. If you know a great hotel with the best restaurant on the way from Durban up north i would be happy to hear about it. thank you
Mar 31st, 2006, 04:20 AM

I have stayed at Zimbali and consider it to be a wonderful lodge; however, I didn't think the service throughout the hotel was up to par. We stayed there over a Valentine's weekend, and dinner on February 14 was a set menu with poor service, as the restaurant was very crowded.

If the safari portion of your holiday isn't set in stone, I highly recommend Amakhosi Lodge. Accommodation, meals, service, game drives there are absolutely superb. I have stayed at several of the big name safari lodges in South Africa and would rank Amakhosi at the top of the list.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy your holiday.

Leann

Search this Thread