Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Zimbabwe - yellow fever certificate if just transiting through risk area

Zimbabwe - yellow fever certificate if just transiting through risk area


Oct 12th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1
Zimbabwe - yellow fever certificate if just transiting through risk area

Hi all,

I am flying from London to Harare via Nairobi ( 2 hour stop over, so will not be leaving airport) next week and was wondering if anyone has done the same? And if so, were you asked for yellow fever certificate on arrival in Harare? Or at least, flown into Zimbabwe from another yellow fever risk area and been asked or not?

I've had a look online and even rung the embassy here in the UK, but no one can give me a definite answer?

Would be grateful for any help and advice.

kat8603 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Oct 13th, 2011, 03:48 AM
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,269
Kenya Yellow Fever. Requirements: Required if traveling from a country with risk of YFV transmission and ≥1 year of age. a. Recommendations: Recommended for all ...

Kenya is a YF country so even transiting it is legally

required or I have gotten it at the airport for 10 KES

years ago.Other countries may deny entry or vaccinate you

on the spot at high fees or demand bribes for entry.

So best for me to take care of it B3 you go to be safe.

If you do not want to take the jab and get the cert tell

them you are allergic to eggs they will just give you

the waiver it will work fine.

www.mdtravelhealth.com Zimbabwe for health risks

Food/water precautions good medical kit and malaria

preventives in risk areas would be a must for me.


Happy Travels!
qwovadis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Oct 13th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 8,675
Even if only transiting thru NBO, who knows what agents in ZIM will require. Best to just get this, which though expensive is good for 10/yrs, so priced over this timeframe, rather inexpensive in the scheme of things. And, you must have the Yellow Card/Booklet that indicates you had (keep w/passport and do not loose as it may be needed again within the 10/yrs.

You are entitled to a 'waiver' to NOT have if:
1) allergic to eggs
2) in contraindication with other drugs you maybe taking
3) age
4) others

See the CDC site, www.cdc.gov/travel (select Kenya or Tanzania for details re YF). They also indicate info re waiver which has to be written on your physician's letterhead to be presented to agent at entering country, if requested.
sandi is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:36 AM.