Zimbabwe/Vic Falls in January?

Jul 20th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Mary

Zimbabwe/Vic Falls in January?

We're going with a group to South Africa for X-mas and New Years (5 days in Kruger National Park/7 days in Cape Town) and are planning to extend our stay for about 10 days - do you think its worth going to Victoria Falls in January - everything I read suggest it's the worst time to visit - malaria, rain, etc. We'd appreciate any itinerary suggestions.

Jul 23rd, 2001, 05:09 AM
local

Mary

Dec/Jan is summer and rainy season in Zimbabwe with temperatures reaching 38 degrees. The Vic Falls are a malaria area any way, so you will have to take medication when ever you go there - summer is more prevalent. (Don't forget that Kruger Park is also malaria area.)

I think that the mere experience would make it worth it for two - three days, depending on what you want to do and irrespective of the weather.

There are some beautiful areas to see around Kruger Park, eg. Pilgrims' Rest and God's Window, etc. Swaziland is also a good call for two days. Golden Gate just north of Lesotho is good to see and then the Drakensberg on the Durban side. So is the Garden Route around George.

See www.southafrica.net for more info.

Dec/Jan is VERY high season here with many people everywhere, temperatures around 30 and thunder storms in the northern parts of the country.

Ps Butterscotch.....?

Jul 24th, 2001, 03:15 PM
Lisa

Hi I agree with Local that Vic Falls is a sight not to be missed. If that is the only time you can go, I owuld say do not hesitate. You can always do your sightseeing in the mornings and late afternoon and relax by the poool int he heat of the day. Victoria Falls is a sensational sight. It is not jsut a vist where in one spot you can se the entire Falls, you will walk a little and see incredible different vistas at each bend. The unspoilt beauty of the area is a big part of its appeal and my family still talk about the wonder of seeing elephants, monkeys, wildebeest and baboons on our walk. we still laugh over the baboon who used the toilet facilities before we did. He was on his way out as we were on our way in.

Oct 15th, 2001, 04:32 PM
Alexandra

Hi,

We were there during February, ad the weather wasn't bad. It was a bit hot and humid, but the rain was not bad at all. During our stayed it raied a few times, but it was in short storms, that would last a few minutes, then stop, and the sun would come out again.

It's definitely worth it as the Falls are so wonderful.

We also found excellent prices in souvenirs (wooden handcrafts and masks), as well as clothes at one of the downtown shops (safari/khaki type clothing).

Alexandra

Search this Thread