TRIP TO EGIPT

Old Mar 21st, 1997, 08:00 PM
FERNANDO LOMELI (Mexico City)

TRIP TO EGIPT

I'M INTERESED IN MAKE A TRIP TO EGIPT, I WANT TO TAKE A RIVER CRUISE TO ALL THE EGIPTIAN HISTORICAL PLACES. I NEED HELP.THANKS.

Old Apr 23rd, 1997, 10:31 AM
Ellenmarie

We went to Egypt for 18 days last November (off season wonderfully warm/cool). I usally spend a year with Fodors Guide and plan a trip on our own. We like to explore. However due to Language and distance we choose to go with OAT Overseas Adventure Tours (800) 221-0814. The service was impeccable. They take only 16 or less people. They use some of the same facalities of Achrombi and Kent at a cheaper price to you! The nile cruise was superb and on the Sun BoatII which is an A&K boat. It holds less than 60 people and is swank!
You travel to Cario, Aswan, Abul Simbul,Luxor and more. The great thing is the guide is an Egyptologist who really makes things come alive for you. Our guide Mohammed was not only well informed but also would go out of his way to arrange requests. We had read that in the Valley of the Queens,Queen Nefertris tomb had been newly reopened after restoration. The catch was only 100 people a day were allowed to visit. Mohammed got us over to the site ealy Sunrise!!!! to get tickets. We saw a sunrise over the Valley plus the tomb!
We also are PADI Divers , He arranged a Red Sea Dive trip.
With OAT they would get us to the sites early so that most times we were ther with out other tourists, who would arrive later.
In Cario if you fall in love with the Egyptian Museam, take Fordors advice and go in the afternoon. the only people there are Egyptian School children! Mohammed made sure we got back in an afternoon. We found that they did mix in just enough shopping to let you get good buys but not enough too boor you. Haggeling is a way to buy, You will have an afternoon in Aswan where you can get some great buys . I went with a friend to the Bazzar with out our guide and had a blast! The trick seemed to be haggel by imeediatly offering half or lees and then walk off when you don't get your price. They will run after you to meet your price. Both dollars and Egyptian Pounds are accepted.
Luxor, Karnack, Abul Simbel, Dendura,Phiale I can't begin to tell how informative the Guide was. The temples make you realize 4000 years ago there was grandur that is hard to comprehend. The people are friendly. The School children will be at the sites and to the discration of thier teachers just want ot speak english to you.
The country is as green as Ireland along the Nile. the vegatables so fresh and tasty. The desert on the way to Abul Simble will impress with the rocks and sand.
If you have specifc questions Email me. I can get Mohammads adress for you , He does private tours.
We plan to go back and have him take us. We are fussy travelers in the sense we like to go with out a tour bus, this trip was surperb. We saw the ruins and had wonderful experiences.

Old Apr 25th, 1997, 12:45 PM
Gene Kasprzyk

Fernando,

The best time to see Egypt is the winter.Nov., Dec., Jan. Summers are unbearably hot. 120 degree far.

use a good travel agent but I suggest you do not do the rally "swank" stuff. It will only show you the tourist Egypt. Its easy to do Egypt economically and on your own. If you must use an organized tour ther is no reason to spend a lot of money unless you just need to be pampered beyond belief. I have done Egypt several times for less than $2000.00 US and been treated like a king every where I went. You can hire your own guides if you wish. Get your own driver for a day or a week, or have your hotel arrange things for you.

e-mail me if I can be of help.

Gene

Old Apr 28th, 1997, 01:03 PM
EILEEN

We enjoyed taking the TWA Getaway tour of Egypt. We saw all that we wanted to see, and the Nile cruise was outstanding. Enjoy your trip!

Old May 1st, 1997, 08:00 PM
Burl Hogins

I'm interested in the address of the guide you talk about. Thank you for a very interesting article.

Old May 5th, 1997, 04:58 AM
Ellenmarie

Adress for Guide: Mohammed Wahba, 164 El Omran St., Masaken Helmiat El Zieton, Cairo, Egypt 11321. Telephone 002/2485001. You couldn't ask for a more enthustic, patient, informative person. His absolute joy is to inpart knowledge of all thing Egyptian.

Old May 7th, 1997, 07:50 PM
Simrin Takhar

I visited Egypt last summer, and I recommend that you spend ample time in the Cairo Museum, Islamic Cairo, Khan-al-Khalili marketplace, and Abu Simbel. Ramsess II's temples at Abu Simbel are amazing and I definately recommend that you go there even if it costs you a lot of extra money. It's worth it. And of course, the Valley of the Kings and Queens was excellent. I plan to return to Egypt and the rest of the Middle East next summer.

Old Jun 16th, 1997, 11:54 AM
Gerry Hewitt

Hi Gene,
I have done a conducted tour of Egypt and would like to return to Luxor during the winter months on an independent basis.
Have you got any information on local hotels which provide good, clean accommodation at reasonable rates? I have checked the net but without personal recommendations I feel that I'm taking a shot in the dark.
Any other info which you might have for do-it yourselfers would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Gerry Hewitt.

Old Jul 10th, 1997, 09:04 AM
Gerry Hewitt

Thanks for your reply to my message.
Gerry.

Old Jul 10th, 1997, 06:27 PM
Royce

We are leaving tomorrow for a vacation for two weeks so I don,t have time to ask questions now (I'm suppose to be packing!). However we are planning two weeks in Egypt in March and like to do it the way you seem to. If you don't mind, I'll send an e-mail after we get back. Thanks. Royce

Old Jul 10th, 1997, 07:04 PM
Royce

We are leaving tomorrow for a vacation for two weeks so I don,t have time to ask questions now (I'm suppose to be packing!). However we are planning two weeks in Egypt in March and like to do it the way you seem to. If you don't mind, I'll send an e-mail after we get back. Thanks. Royce

Old Jul 13th, 1997, 03:29 AM
Paula

I have been to Egypt 10 times first using a guided tour and now just doing it myself. Any tips that you may need, please e-mail me - [email protected].

Old Aug 24th, 1997, 07:11 PM
jay polansky

Planning trip to Israel &Egypt next summer.Just returned from 17 magnificent days in turkey.
Is 8 days enough for egypt? 1 day in luxor before
4 night cruise, day in aswan,Fly to cairo for last 3
nights. Any info appreciated.
thank you

Old Aug 26th, 1997, 07:45 AM
Rosemary Kimball

I am going to Egypt on a Globus tour with two other women and a man in December. How should the women dress? Is it crucial to be covered from head to foot? Can anyone tell me about the Globus "Egyptian Splendor tour? Is the Mena Gardens Hotel the same as the Mena House Oberoi? Thanks for any help/guidance you can give me.

Old Aug 27th, 1997, 03:24 PM
Simrin

Rosemary: when you visit holy sites you definitely need to dress modestly (make sure your knees and shoulders are covered). Other than that, you don't need to be totally covered. You'll find that, contrary to what you see on movies or t.v., many of the native women aren't completely covered either. Have a great trip!

Old Sep 1st, 1997, 02:00 PM
Joseph B. Lambert

I am planning to take a trip to Egypt next year and have been trying to buy Fodor's Egypt. Does anyone know why it is not available? Is Fodor's planning to replace it with their glossy new Exploring Egypt or is a new edition of Fodor's Egypt coming out?

Old Sep 8th, 1997, 04:29 PM
jean bullock

i'ml a foodie and interested in restaurants in egypt that serve authentic egyptian food--not the usual international cuisine or americanized egyptian food hotels and top restaurants always serve

Old Sep 30th, 1997, 10:53 AM
jennifer nacif

hi paula i am from mexico and i am planing new years in the nile is it a good time and is it better nile in4or 6 days the difference i think is the time you spend in luxor is it worth it. which cruise is the best one. what age are most of thepeople.thanks in advance