Zimbabwe -- Hwange and Mana Pools

Jan 16th, 2004, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Zimbabwe -- Hwange and Mana Pools

Has anyone recently been to the major game parks (Hwange or Mana Pools) in Zimbabwe and can offer comment on status of wildlife. I am considering a visit to the Wilderness Safaris camps in these parks in August, but seek unbiased commentary on the status of the parks. Thank you
Jan 17th, 2004, 03:40 AM

Thit_Cho
This isn't a personal report but might be of limited help. I read a lot of travel supplements - you know the ones the broadsheets publish on weekends - and over the past year and a half have read a number of articles giving (sad) feedback that many of the Zimbabwean game reserves stand empty - farm seizures have lead to a drop in production = high food costs or simply no food available = higher levels of poaching wildlife for food.
I haven't kept any of these, I'm afraid, so I can't give you names of writers - which might help decide whether their reports are realistic or politically motivated...
Kavey
Jan 17th, 2004, 04:49 AM
sandi

thit_cho -

Don't know if this will help, but there is a site with news from all over Africa -

allafrica.com

Since I'm accessing thru Internet Explorer I can't get to my book marked web addresses, so am not sure if it's

http:// or www.
do a search to find the correct one.
You might find info on that site to help.

Also, if you normally work with a regular tour operator, and since Wilderness Safari lodges/camps have to be booked thru a tour operator rather than direct - ask them what the situation is in Zimbabwe. Granted they'd want the business, but if they're going to have unhappy clients, should give you the "real story" on what's happening.

Overall Zimbabwe is a sad situation, but the areas of Hwange and Mana Pools are ideal safari locations, so you do need info from people who know what's happening. Maybe an honest tour operators can give you an honest answer. I sure hope so.

Search this Thread