Zimbabwe from Zambia Side

Feb 20th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Zimbabwe from Zambia Side

I will be doing a tour of Africa (3 nights in Capetown, 3 nights Sabi Sands, and then 4 nights in the chobe/victoria falls area. While in the Chobe area I will be staying 2 nights on the Ichobezi SafariBoat. In order to align with my various flights I will be staying in the Victoria Falls area 1 day before my Ichobezi SafriaBoat and 1 day after my Ichobezi SafraiBoat.

I will be flying in and out using Livingstone Airport.

I really want to see both the Zambian and the Zimbabwe Side of the falls.

So should I spend 1 day on the Zimbabwe side and 1 day on the Zambian side?
or is it just as efficient to stay 2 days on the Zambian side and just go to the Zimbabwe side from Zambia for the day.
What are the logistics of going to Zimbabwe for the day? On the Zambia side I will be staying at the Zambezi Sun. Are there road transfer to the Zimbabwe side or can I just walk over to the Zimbabwe side and go thru immigrations there? I would prefer not to have to take a tour.

I had initially planned to stay at Illala on May 31 and Zambezi Sun on May 3 but the Illala hotel is booked and so now I am thinking of the alternative of either trying to book another hotel on the Zimbabwe side or just staying 2 nights at the Zambezi Sun.

Appreciated all thoughts.
Feb 21st, 2013, 07:33 AM

Two thirds of the falls are across from the Zim side. You walk along a cliff opposite the falls and will see the best of the falls from that walk. Could you change your flights from Livingstone to the Victoria Falls airport? There is really no reason to go into Zambia. You can do a road transfer from Vic Falls to Kasane to catch the Ichobezi. If not, I guess you could try the border crossing, but you'll have to pay for a visa for each country.

Enjoy the Ichobezi safariboat! It was a great experience.
Feb 21st, 2013, 09:02 AM

You mention logistics so I'd point out, assuming you will be going back to SA to transit, that a stay in Zambia would require a yellow fever jab because SA considers Zambia to be a low risk country for yellow fever. No shot would be required if you stay only in Zimbabwe and go back through SA.
Feb 21st, 2013, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Great information - Thanks for the reply.

Search this Thread