Notices

Zimbabwe Camps

Mar 13th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Zimbabwe Camps

I read in someone's post, which I can't locate again, that they had been told some of the Zimbabwe camps were closing. I think the specific reference was to Rukomechi.

Can anyone confirm this or give me more information? I'm just beginning to put together a Botswana/Zimbabwe itinerary for next year and am wondering if I should be cautious about adding Zimbabwean camps?

Thank you!
Mar 13th, 2005, 09:39 AM

Canadienne,

Unless you have a party of at least 8 people, Ruckomechi is not available to you. It is basically on life support right now, and only bothers to open its doors when there is a large enough party to justify doing so.

Your only other option for a top game lodge in Mana Pools is Chikwenya, from the same company, Wilderness Safaris, that operates Chikwenya.

You would have many more choices on the Zambian side of the river, in Lower Zambezi. Such choices include Sausage Tree Camp, Chiawa Camp, Kasaka River Lodge and Mwambashi to name just a few.

If you are going to Victoria Falls, it would be quite easy to combine a Zimbabwe visit with Lower Zambezi (Zambia).
Mar 13th, 2005, 02:29 PM

hi canadienne,
i just visited hwange in january and was told that rukomechi had closed, but as rocco said, chikwenya is still open and from all accounts an amazing camp. if you combine a trip to hwange (makololo plains) with chikwenya, you will have a great safari experience and the price is extremely attractive at this time in zim for obvious reasons. but for safety, quality of lodge, service and food, wilderness safari's zim camps are on par witha ny in botswana. i was cautious about zim before we went, but cant say enough good things about it now. we combined it with a trip to mombo in botswana and had a terrific time.

Search this Thread