Zim / Zambia / Namibia - rate luxury Lodge

Mar 14th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Fil
Original Poster

Zim / Zambia / Namibia - rate luxury Lodge

Itīs possible to rate the Lodges in diferrent coutryes?
Some conditions...can anyone tell me the more afordable country, and the more expensive? Botswana? South Africa?
waht about Namibia, Zimbabwe and Zabia?
Mar 14th, 2005, 09:46 AM

This is not intended to be an exact science, but here is my opinion, comparing lodges of similar quality to each other

MOST EXPENSIVE

1. Botswana
2. South Africa
3. Namibia
4. Zambia
5. Zimbabwe

You must take into consideration that you will be getting much more exclusivity in Botswana than you will likely get in South Africa, where there are far more visitors.

Also, in discussing the least expensive options, there are very few remaining lodges to choose from in Zimbabwe, as they have been left behind in the last few years due to their political problems. While Zambia has built quite a few high end lodges/camps over the last 3 - 5 years, Zimbabwe has failed to keep pace, and has actually closed a few of their better regarded camps (Ruckomechi and Matusadona Water Wilderness, for example).

Zambia does price their tariffs in U.S. Dollars, so while South African and Botswanan lodges have nearly doubled in price in the last three years, Zambian lodges have been largely unaffected by the U.S. Dollars decline vs. the South African Rand.
Mar 14th, 2005, 09:56 AM

Fil,

Since you seem to be interested in the best value for money, I would strongly encourage you to consider Zambia, above all other destinations.

Please spend some time looking over the following websites, and you will be sold on Zambia.

Here is just a small sampling of some exclusive Zambian lodges and camps:

www.robinpopesafaris.net www.star-of-africa.com www.kutandala.com www.kaingo.com www.kasakariverlodge.com www.sausagetreecamp.com www.chiawa.com www.luangwariverlodge.com www.experienceafrica.com www.kasanka.com www.mutemwa.com www.busangatrails.com www.bush-buzz.com www.mukambi.com www.bushcampcompany.com

For the true authority on Zambia, the Zambian Tourist Board has an amazing website:

www.zambiatourism.com

For a good local South African travel agent, I highly suggest you contact TAGA Safaris (www.tagasafaris.co.za). Just try to put together an intenerary before contacting TAGA or any other agent, as well as your desired dates...be as thorough as possible with agents so you don't have to go back and forth numerous times...this will exhaust the agents, will discourage you and will eventually lead to higher prices if the agents have to work extra hard with a customer that does not yet really know what they want.

Good luck.
Mar 14th, 2005, 03:30 PM

I'd agree with the #1-#5 ranking of Rocco. Of course you can choose the most upscale properties in Zambia and pay more or do participation camping in Botswana and pay less.

I think South Africa is known for the most luxuries and exclusive lodgings, but I have not been there personally to check them out.

Search this Thread