Zim to Zam - Crossing the Bridge

Jan 19th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Zim to Zam - Crossing the Bridge

I'll be in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, in mid-February. I'm wondering if anyone knows what the current Zambian visa costs are for crossing the bridge into Zambia for a few hours. I know that if I want to do this, I should get a multiple-entry visa when entering Zimbabwe from Kasane; anyone know what that costs, compared to a single-entry visa?

Finally, has anyone been to the Zim side of the Falls recently? How is the security situation...safe to walk around the town of Vic Falls during the day? Safe to walk to and in the National Park? There will be four women in my group and we'll be staying at Ilala Lodge.
Jan 19th, 2006, 09:21 PM

I stayed at Illala In Oct 05, with my sister. We walked around town alone, had no problems at all. We went to the falls alone- also no problems. There are many over aggressive street vendors- but they will take a firm no for an answer, and we were walked back to town by the "tourist police" with their bright orange vests on. The only cautions I would give are: Do not open your doors to your room when the baboons are out and walking about. We had a large male come into our room with us, and he was quite aggressive. When we finally got him our(threw things at him), and told the desk- they said "well they won't come in the room if a man is there- well like I said, it was my sister and I. We had a REALLY good laugh!!
Second- the "craft market" behind Illala, is quite an experience!! I have been to Tijuana many times, and dealt with aggressive vendors- but this was no preparation for the "craft market". Just keep to the work NO, and walk when you need to. This being said- I did get some nice things. There is also a really great artist in the little "mall". His name is Tich, and he freehands pencil artwork of wildlife. The prints are just beautiful- I email him, and have bought numerous pieces since returning to the US.
Sorry I am not sure of the Zambia Visa costs.
Suzi
Jan 20th, 2006, 02:45 AM

Have just had feedback from clients 2 American ladies who stayed at Ilala Lodge, that they felt intimidated by the sellers. I am sure if there are 4 of you and you are prepared it will be easier.

I always find Zim crafts well worth the hassle

Importantly they were only able to spend $us dollars no one wanted local currency.
Jan 20th, 2006, 02:56 AM

You can get a "day pass" for I believe it is $10 to go from Zimbabwe(VF) to Zambia(Livingstone). This is what the white water rafters have been doing for years. No need for a multiple entry visa. Anyway, only single and double entry visas can be purchased at the border.
Jan 20th, 2006, 07:57 AM

In addition to the $10 for the Zambia day visa, I believe there is an entry fee for the park on the Zambian side--another $10.

Tip for dealing with aggressive vendors: keep in mind the extreme poverty in Zimbabwe and try to be nice. And if you have space to carry things home you can get some amazing buys.

Search this Thread