Notices

Zim inflation tops 1,000%

May 13th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Zim inflation tops 1,000%

I know there are several threads regarding Zim's woes, but I thought some of you might be interested in some current facts...

Zimbabwe's annual inflation rate now exceeds 1,000% for the first time (for the 12 months ended Apr06, it was 1,043%).

The cheapest candy costs 57,000 ZWD per pack and a loaf of bread 100,000 ZWD. The largest-denom note is 50,000 ZWD, so people have to carry bags of money to the shops.

Toilet paper is 125,000 ZWD per roll - the joke is that it may be cheaper to use 500-dollar notes rather than the TP.

The poverty datum line (absolute minimum consumption needs) for an average family of five reached 37 million ZWD (~$365) per month (at government's exchange rate), but only $148 on the black market.

For those interested in the full article, go to the WSJ online (paid membership only, but you can sign up for 2 weeks free membership) here: http://online.wsj.com/

James
May 14th, 2006, 09:06 AM

An excellent post James.
But how are we as a democratic society going to stop these people. There was another post today about the Massai and their woes about not getting their fare share of income.
I WONDER!!

Search this Thread