Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Zebra Skins (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/zebra-skins-322162/)

dlm May 30th, 2003 07:32 AM

Zebra Skins

I know there was a post not long ago about how to buy zebra skins in South Africa and that there is a regulated, ethical way to do so. For some reason, Fodor's search engine is not finding it for me. Does anyone have a link to this? Or can anyone repeat the advice given? Selwyn, I know you had some info . . .
Thanks in advance

Kavey May 30th, 2003 08:25 AM

Oddly enough it looks as though Fodors censors have deleted the thread.

Which is weird because they let it stand for an awfully long time and it looks like they only deleted it when it started to fall away from the current threads.

I looked in a number of ways. I searched on Zebra. I also clicked on the names of posters I remember clearly having posted on the thread - and yet it did not appear anywhere in the list of threads under their name.

How utterly bizaare.

Kavey

Kavey May 30th, 2003 08:39 AM

I also just emailed Fodors editors to ask them to look for the thread or to explain why it was deleted.

In my opinion, the thread was of genuine merit to readers of this board.

Although the thread did generate a number of postings about the moral issues relating to this matter, I believe it did remain civil, or at least, didn't descend into personal insults etc. Certainly in comparison to other threads which seem to be permitted to remain on other Fodors boards, it was not overly inflammatory. However, most importantly, it also contained advice for the original poster (and for other travellers) on legal and practical considerations that she would need to know to make ehr purchase both legally and economically.

dlm May 30th, 2003 08:43 AM

thanks. I, also, could not imagine why it would raise the ire of censors. The thread, after all, was about ways to CONFORM to the law and ethical conservation codes. If the thread is not restored, does anyone remember the advice -- where to buy governmental-approved skins?

caribtraveler May 30th, 2003 04:45 PM

i don't think the advice was where to buy it, but how much the cost would run and to make sure the place you bought it from gave you the right paperwork so you could bring the skin back to whatever country you live in. the paperwork would prove you obtained the skin legally or something to that effect.

Kavey Jun 4th, 2003 02:08 AM

Received following:

--------

Dear Kavey,
Thank you for your inquiry. As you thought, I regret it looks like one of the
monitors has deleted the thread. Our monitors are instructed to delete posts
that are not in accordance with our subscriber's agreement
http://www.fodors.com/about/subagree/ or forums rules; in cases when it is
too difficult or time consuming to delete single posts within a thread, our
monitors are allowed to delete entire threads. I regret any inconvenience
this has caused.

Caragh Rockwood
Senior editor
Fodors.com

--------
Oh well, nice of them to get back to me - let's share again any positive information and leave the moralising out and perhaps the information will not be deleted this time around.

melissaom Jun 4th, 2003 05:12 AM

Actually, I started the "dreaded" thread because I am truly interested in purchasing one. Unfortunately, someone on the thread posted his email to obtain a source and I didn't copy it down before the thing was deleted.

I will probably just ask around, and at our safari lodge, as I am sure they know where to get one. (seems like every lodge I have looked at has them around - which piqued my interest!)

Please post if you do hear of anything reliable. Thanks.

Vette4Paris Jun 4th, 2003 05:35 AM

If I recall, the issue was about whether the travellers could import zebra meat for private purposes. They lived in New York. The idea of using the skin as an area rug in their East Hampton house did come up, but didn't generate much controversy. We wre surprised to learn the editors deleted that useful thread.

Kavey Jun 4th, 2003 05:41 AM

The thread I'm referring to was simply about Melissa's request for information on prices/ procedures for buying a zebra skin rug on a trip to Africa.

The thread became bogged down in people's views on whether or not such a purchase was ethical but did also include information that was of more practical use to Melissa and others, such as DLM, who have no doubt already worked through the moral issues, come to their own decisions and now simply want information on how to make the purchase, legally and at a good price.

nkh Jun 4th, 2003 05:58 AM

I believe it was indeed Selwyn who posted some of the useful info - I remember a little and hopefully he will correct anything I post incorrectly.

In order to be exported you must have appropriate certificates to go with the zebra skin that show it was obtained through a legal cull (cant remember details of documents). Make sure you obtain the documents along with the skin.

A number of the higher end gift shops will sell such skins. Price quoted by Selwyn was 5000-7000 rand I think, although there was some discussion as to whether this was too low.

Hope that this helps in absence of a better response.

Vette4Paris Jun 4th, 2003 06:29 AM

Selwyn did in fact offer details about import licenses relating to USDA inspection of zebra meat. The poster worked for the Puppy Chow organziation, and wanted to know whether they might offer the skins at retail.

Roccco Jun 4th, 2003 07:12 AM

Does that mean that if I feed my dogs Purina Puppy Chow or other Purina Dog Foods that I am likely feeding my dogs Zebra meat??? I guess I don't have a problem with that unless my dogs start developing stripes! :)

Selwyn_Davidowitz Jun 4th, 2003 08:02 AM

NKH is correct in what she recalls of my posting in the wiped out thread. Once does need a certificate to prove all. Furthermore the price quoted by NKH is correct in that I mentioned in my mail that I had visitors purchase a Zebra skin in Hermanus a couple of weeks earlier in the price category of R5000 - R7000. Somebody else wrote that they thought this was not correct and that the prices were closer to R9000. This could well be right but my experience has shown that you can find skins at R5000-R7000 if you look around.

The issue of zebra meat was NEVER discussed in the thread and I have no idea where this thought even comes from.

Hope this helps.

Selwyn Davidowitz
[email protected]
Very proudly part of the wonderful ((r)) nation of South Africa

Kavey Jun 4th, 2003 08:25 AM

Selwyn
I couldn't recall anything about zebra meat, I must admit!
I think Vette is pulling our legs?
:D
Kavey

Vette4Paris Jun 4th, 2003 09:29 AM

Pulling legs - oh no, never. I clearly recall a rather intense debate about the morality of eating, in general, wild game, and in particular, zebra. Someone kept insisting zebra was quite the delicacy, and would be an instant hit here if importable into the UK, but that zebra skins were rough and thus unsuited for refined decorating. The last poster (an American), many commented, made the most interesting observation when she said zebra tasted a lot like chicken.

Kavey Jun 4th, 2003 09:37 AM

I must admit I don't remember that thread... and i've been reading this board for a very long time... but I also confess to having a poor memory!

We did have kudu or impala or some other local animal or other when in Africa. For me - eating one animal is no different to eating any other in terms of acceptability given the assumption that the animal was humanely treated and killed and that killing it for meat does not contribute to endangering it's survival.

dlm Jun 4th, 2003 09:53 AM

Selwyn,
Do you have any tips as to where one should "look around" for Zebra skins in Cape Town? I don't imagine the Waterfront shops would yield any bargains.

Kavey Jun 4th, 2003 02:12 PM

Aaah! I think I might remember the thread you may be referring to Vette!

I do recall a post about meats eaten at Carnivores restaurant where someone said that everything tastes like either chicken or beef...

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...amp;tid=102520

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...amp;tid=102661

Vette4Paris Jun 5th, 2003 05:23 AM

I've now had an opportunity to go back and review my notes, and I've discovered my error. The discussion about zebra meat actually surfaced as a sidebar in an otherwise interesting thread about Rick Steeve's propensity to stick his head out the windows of train cars when approaching tunnels. Some posters ruffled others with references to his penchant for blue-green shirts and monkish haircuts, but all blanched together at his behaviors aboard fast-moving conveyances.

Kavey Jun 5th, 2003 05:41 AM

:-))