Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Zebra farts: Another trip to the lowveld near Kruger (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/zebra-farts-another-trip-to-the-lowveld-near-kruger-897583/)

pixelpower Jul 5th, 2011 10:23 AM

Zebra farts: Another trip to the lowveld near Kruger

My trip report of our latest safari, including pics, can be found here:

http://safaritalk.net/index.php?showtopic=6898

In short...

Period; end of May, begin of June, 2011
Duration; 2 weeks
TA; Sun Safaris
Lodges;
- Umkumbe, Sabi Sands GR
- nThambo, Klaserie NR
- Simbavati River Lodge, Timbavati GR

If you have any questions; fire away!

Ciao,

J.

cary999 Jul 5th, 2011 12:28 PM

Thanks Jochen, I'm very interested in that safari part of South Africa. I've started to read it, but rather slow going so far, the many pictures break it up a lot for me. Probably just me, but, I'm thinking I prefer reports without photos. For sure I'd not like to read a report that has 400 photos as some here post on a web picture site :) . So maybe I should indeed thank Fodors for not giving us such capability?? :)

I'll get back to it - tom

shouldbewriting Jul 5th, 2011 02:17 PM

Very nice; enjoyed the info & the pictures.

christabir Jul 5th, 2011 03:17 PM

We were in the neighborhood during the same cold front. It did make things sparse. We went to many different areas and had many different experiences, so quiet for a few days was OK.

I will have to look into Simbavati for next time, although we have not had good luck in Timbavati in two trips. What was it before? Gomo Gomo? I love a waterhole!!

Thanks for the thorough report. Welcome home.

(Judging from what the US has done in our National Parks, allowing burning and doing controlled burns is a good thing - as long as it is done everywhere, not just along the roads. Yellowstone was not allowed to burn for decades and when there was a fire in 1988 it got out of control and too hot to fight and destroyed 50% of the park. Could have been avoided if we hadn't stopped the fires in the past. But I totally get your point. And needs to be consistent. We saw a lot of burn areas - vast areas - in Kruger around Satara.)

cristeen Jul 5th, 2011 04:52 PM

Great report and photos! Love your starry night! And roaring lions! And, well, all of them. Thanks for sharing.

pixelpower Jul 5th, 2011 10:23 PM

Hi Christabir,

Simbavati RL is indeed the old Gomo Gomo!

B.regs,

J.

PacoAhedo Jul 6th, 2011 01:17 AM

Jochen , i have been following the report and photos on Safalitalk.
It is always interesting to receive information about lesser-known and common areas and camps.

Paco.

absolutkz Jul 6th, 2011 10:20 AM

Beautiful pictures - may I ask what camera you used, or more importantly what size lens?

kellyee21 Jul 6th, 2011 10:21 AM

Thank you for this, very nice. We were also at Umkumbe in April and had a wonderful time, it is truely every bit as wonderful as you describe. Herman and Celeste are indeed great hosts, we also had Johan a couple times and we were lucky to see lions one night with him and a leopard on another. Did Herman hold a "contest" on your last day out on safari ???

pixelpower Jul 6th, 2011 10:21 PM

Hey absolutkz,

If a restaurant servers you a good meal, do you ask the cook what pots he used? :-D
Seriously; I don't think the gear matters much. All my cams are 2nd hand (the oldest being a Canon 20D, which I now gave away) and all my lenses (except one) are 2nd hand, the most used being a 35-350L (which on photo boards is without exception categorized as "not up to L-category standards")

B.regs,

J.

cary999 Jul 6th, 2011 11:59 PM

"If a restaurant servers you a good meal, do you ask the cook what pots he used? "

I like that J., adding it to my photo wisdoms repertoire :)

regards - tom

absolutkz Jul 8th, 2011 06:16 AM

Actually I have a good camera, I was more curious about the lens length. Came across your info about the research you did for this trip - I like your style of what you didn't want in lodging.

atravelynn Jul 8th, 2011 07:39 AM

Those of you tuning in for the farts, rest assured they are present, and appear in several forms including a rather eloquent and astute version near the end of the report.

Come for the farts, stay for the excellent photos.

pixelpower Jul 8th, 2011 09:01 AM

LOL Lynn,

I hope my pics aren't judged as being artsy-fartsy.

Ciao,

J.

Femi Jul 8th, 2011 04:06 PM

People are often touchy when asked about camera equipment, but I don't understand why. Info on camera gear (body and lens type) is very helpful.

A better analogy would be asking a chef about his ingredients rather than his pots. Then again, I guess chefs also jealously guard their secret recipes.

atravelynn Jul 9th, 2011 07:37 AM

Ha ha, Pixelpower!

pixelpower Jul 10th, 2011 10:02 PM

Femi, I was just joking with that cook-remark.

Anyway, I did answer to the question, no? My gear list is this thread. Altough I forgot to put "my left eye" on the list. :-D

Cheers,

J.

Femi Jul 11th, 2011 04:55 AM

LOL! :)