Travel Insurance for heart probs from Australia

Old Dec 6th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel Insurance for heart probs from Australia

Has anyone from Australia been able to get Insurance cover for heart problems?
Thanks Dot
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 01:15 PM

From US, but wouldn't that or any other medical - diabetes, allergies, asthma, high blood pressure, heart stent, hip replacement, etc - be considered a 'pre-existing condition?'

Have you been receiving negative replies from insurers in OZ?
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Sandi, high blood pressure as long as you have no known heart conditions, but mention leaking valves etc and the answer is NO. You can get coverage in USA providing you're American.
How quick can I become an American,lol.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 10:28 PM

Dot, I managed to get travel insurance for someone with health problems through her private health company (Medibank Private). Perhaps you could try that, assuming you have private health. Then there is also COTA, depending on your age (i.e. you have to be old enough), and they also were prepared to cover this person with a slightly more expensive premium than Medibank Private. Hilary
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 07:15 AM

<i>"but mention leaking valves etc and the answer is NO. You can get coverage in USA providing you're American.
How quick can I become an American,lol."</i>

... if leaking, can't you have that fixed? Sorry, couldn't resist, but if that is the issue, guess it's you and doc to decide proper treatment. However, is this 'issue' something that can cause problems while traveling or you just go on going about and nothing much to concern yourself. If so, 'omit' this when applying (yeh, a lie... but, no that's not right!)

As to the last question? You'll be taking many trips to many destinations for years, before becoming eligible. Besides, do you seriously want to, when OZ seems much more civilized in oh so many ways.
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 08:11 AM

<<<However, is this 'issue' something that can cause problems while traveling or you just go on going about and nothing much to concern yourself. If so, 'omit' this when applying (yeh, a lie... but, no that's not right!)>>>

I'm not sure I'm reading this right, but if you're suggesting she omit a medical "fact", if she makes ANY claim under the policy, the insurance company will be sure to void the entire policy if they determine that she lied on the application.
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Sandi, you are naughty!
"Get it fixed", it's only a little dribble at the moment & the Dr doesnt want me back until 2013, lol, I've made the appt for 2 days after our return from Africa 2013. And heart surgery scares the .... out of me!

Hilary thanks for the info, I'll ring HCF & COTA today, also Covermore may come to the party, waiting to hear back from them.

sf7307, I wouldnt lie anyway, it would come back and bite me for sure, although, inadvertently, I did in April because I wasn't told about the problem until I returned!
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 11:22 AM

<<<inadvertently, I did in April because I wasn't told about the problem until I returned!>>>

That's not lying!!!
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 01:26 PM

sf7307 - I did say 'that's a lie... and that's not right'

... but you'd be surprised what some folks would do. Not me, but people do and since we haven't the foggiest who's on the other end here at Fodor's, beats me. Chill!

sallysaab - of course if you didn't know and so no prior records, it wasn't wrong (a lie) on your end. Certainly can't talk from personal experience, but my mom had a valve issue years back and at age 82 they fixed it. Sure, major surgery... but fixed and she lived another 11/years, doing just fine. I'm also sure procedures have changed in these many years and it might not be all that terrible.

However, Hillary gave you some resources on your end, so follow-up on those and let us know.
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 01:26 AM

www.mnui.com

mighttry them good luck

with pre-existing conditions

in the past...

www.duinsure.com (owned byAIG notas great)

Happy Hunting!
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help, I'll hit the phone on Monday, and post results when I get them.
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

I'm getting coverage through COTA, thanks Hilary.
Also Covermore would have as well, but they had 4 pages of info to fill in including a copy of ECG etc.
As well I found out about Global Rescue, keep thinking of the Thunderbirds, lol, which for us old folk in some areas would be ideal, it's they are worth checking out.
Once again thanks to my Fodor "family" for helping me out.
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 01:17 PM

Glad it worked out.
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 08:19 PM

Good news, I just hope you won't need it.