Search

Zanzibar snorkeling

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zanzibar snorkeling

Any suggestions on areas to snorkel in Zanzibar? Any good spots to snorkel right from the beach? Thanx,
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Bump! Anyone?
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 08:03 AM

Hello
From Ras Nungwi at the northern tip of Zanzibar, they do snorkel trips to the waters off Mnemba Island. Problem with the East Coast is that a lot of it is tidal, and snorkelling off the coast is tricky. From Palms (South East, near Breezes) you can also do a boat trip for snorkelling - the coral and fish were nice but the sea was very choppy.
Sorry - that's all I know. There may be other places which are more suited to snorkelling off the beach.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, that's a good start anyway.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 07:31 AM

hello,
A bunch of us went snokeling off the coast of the northern tip of Zanzibar. We went with one of the local companies which took a 30 minute boat ride out the reefs, and then spent the afternoon snokeling. It was perhaps the best I have seen. However, a word of advice, we went mid-June which is apparently shoulder season for jellyfish. Avoid it during jellyfish season. A few of us were stung by jellyfish which weren't expected to be out yet. Darn (to put is nicely) it was painful, and I only ran into one tentacle. A few others managed to get caught up in managle of them, and they were in a serious amount of pain. You really couldn't see the jellyfish, until you felt the sting and could see the blue barbs in your skin. Two of our group got a bit "shocky" and started to tremble from the pain on the entire boat ride back. We gave them some benadryl and tried to reduce the pain by neutralizing the venom with vinegar which helped a bit, but the sharp pains didn't got away for about a day. The snokeling was otherwise amazing!
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks SandyD1. Do you know if August is a bad time for those jellyfish, too?
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 11:59 AM

Check out Chumbe Island. I have no first hand knowledge but it looks like an interesting spot. It is small island near Zanzibar that is a national park and I think you may be able to snorkel right from shore here -- definitely worth checking on that.