Zanzibar Question

Jul 12th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

Zanzibar Question

Should I elect to go on an East African safari, I would most likely go between mid-February to early March and conclude with four nights in Zanzibar.

Would Zanzibar be intolerably hot & humid in late February / early March?

My plan would be to spend 2 nights at Emerson & Green in Stone Town and then my final 2 nights at the Palms Zanzibar. I don't think either place features air conditioning.

Does it sound like a good idea to conclude my visit with 4 nights in Zanzibar or does it, rather, sound anticlimatic? I may not mind the heat considering that I hate February the most in my hometown Los Angeles, as that is when it is at its coldest.

I am considering a visit to either Kenya only (which may prevent a visit to Zanzibar) or I am also considering a mobile camping safari that would include Ngorongoro Crater, Tarangire and the Serengeti. I had not been considering Tarangire for this time period, but reading through a couple Fodors trip reports, it seems that February is not such a bad time to visit. It just seems like an incredibly scenic park that I may not want to miss.

I have been toying around with Argentina and India, but I must say that East Africa, especially Tanzania seems especially attractive to me. Airfare to Europe would be pretty cheap from Los Angeles, and then possibly only about $850 to Tanzania. I could probably get from Los Angeles to Tanzania for no more than $1,250 pp total and not have to waste my frequent flier miles until I return to South Africa (2,000 miles further south).

Thanks for any and all feedback.
Jul 12th, 2005, 11:34 PM

(This thread is actually by me, Rocco, but I am using scaredtodeath's laptop)

While I am still looking into mobile camping safaris, I am not ruling out luxury lodges, either. It may be the only way that I will get Alexsandra (my wife) to initially visit Tanzania.

Anyway, please let me know how this itinerary looks, starting in mid to late February:

Arusha (1) (evening arrival from Amsterdam) $150
Tarangire River Camp (2) $1,500
Ngorongoro Crater Lodge (2) $2,000
Serengeti, open to suggestions on two different lodges/camps (6) $4,450?
Emerson & Green (2) $300
Palms Zanzibar (2) $1,600

GRAND TOTAL = $10,000 ($5,000 pp) plus light air transfer from Serengeti to Zanzibar and Zanzibar to Dear Es Salaam. I would fly into Kiliminjaro (JRO) and out of Dar Es Salaam (DAR).
For the price, I think there are some pretty good lodges included in here.

I really do need guidance on the two best Serengeti lodges/camps to visit. I am thinking that Ndutu Safari Lodge would be one of the best choices but there are not many other options in this part of the Serengeti.
Jul 12th, 2005, 11:36 PM

(The migration should be in the Southeast Serengeti in February, but you never know...that is why I want two different camps and a total of six nights).
Jul 13th, 2005, 09:29 AM

Roccco,
Just to answer one section of this...we stayed at Emerson and Green which I liked very much. Zanzibar is very interesting in terms of culture and history. Lots of interesting buildings in the stone town and lovely seafood you can eat from venders along the waterfront. There's also a nice restaurant which I think is a sister restaurant to a seafood place in Camps Bay.

I didn't find it disappointing because for me the historical/architectural stuff is a highlight. Given how much you love being on safari I think that perhaps this may be less of a highlight.

I think some of the rooms at Emerson and Green are airconditioned but in my opinion the most beautiful rooms are the ones that at at the top of the house. The reason they're not air conditioned is that they're very traditional with lavish wooden lattice work windows that let the breeze through. We were there in early December and I don't remember it being too bad but I grew up in the tropics.

Emerson and Green is not conventionally luxurious, no pool, no room service etc. We were there after riots that follwed a contentious election and so we were unusually sharing the place with reporters and photographers.

We visited the Serena which is a much more conventionally luxurious place with a pool and other amenities which might also be an option.

Hope this helps

Search this Thread