Zanzibar on a budget

Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Zanzibar on a budget

I am planning a trip to Zanzibar for June.

Does anyone have any recommendations for cheaper accomadation - we are a group of friends 26 to 36 (and a 2 year old!) looking for what could be described as a luxury backpackers! Budget $45 to $70 per night per person.

So far I have
1 night Clove Hotel in Stone Town (we arrive late in the evening)
3 nights Hukuna Majiwe (would appreciate detailed feedback from anyone that has been here!)
1 night again at Clove hotel
4 nights at Matemwe Beach village

Total is about: $600 pp HB basis

Can anyone recommend anything else or do you think this is the best bet?

Thank you

Keri
Jan 3rd, 2006, 12:31 PM

Hi mistypopper,

I can't speak to any of the places you listed, but I can make a recommendation of Pongwe Beach Resort. It's a beautiful, recently refurbished, small place to stay on the West Coast of Zanzibar. It consists of about 10 cottages (very rustic, but lovely) on arguably the most beautiful beach on Zanzibar. My husband and I stayed there with 2 friends in January 2005 and we loved it - the beach, the privacy at the resort, the atmosphere and the food. The spot was lovely - I don't know if I'd call it total luxury (that's not what we were looking for) but it's a beautiful spot on a beautiful beach... and I believe it fits well within your budget.

Enjoy wherever you stay!
Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:45 PM
bat

misty:
I'll be curious to see if anyone has stayed at Hakuna Majiwe--it is pretty new, isn't it? [or you can be the first!] And Hakuna Majiwe has a pool--unusual at that price level I believe. Matemwe Beach village receives good reviews that I have read. So both seem to be good for the money.

If you are splitting time between 2 beach locations, have you considered the Kendwa area? I understand that there are a number of inexpensive/moderate bungalows there and the beach is not so tidal as it is on the east coast.

You can look at this website for accommodations in the Nungwi/Kendwa area. [Mnarani bungalows in the Nungwi area have been mentioned and they have a family unit--might be helpful with the 2 year old] http://www.encounterzanzibar.com/north.htm

Search this Thread