Zanzibar Hotels

Aug 11th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Zanzibar Hotels

I will be in Stone Town for one night and have a choice of staying at either the Serena Inn or the Dhow Palace. Wondered if anyone could tell me which one they prefer and why? Thanks,
Aug 11th, 2005, 11:27 AM
sandi

First of all, I think the prices for these two will be markedly different with the Serena being more expensive. If that is not the case, then consider:

The Dhow Palace is in the middle of Stone Town, whereas, the Serena Inn is on the outter circle of Stone Town. The Serena Inn is newer and more western in it's offerings though has the same feel as the Dhow Palace, Tembo House and Emerson & Green the best known in Stone Town. The only thing against (for some people, but not necessarily a negative) the Dhow Palace and Tembo House observe Muslim law of Halal and do not serve alcohol on the premises. Otherwise, for 1-nt you can't go wrong with either hotel.

If you want an interesting dinner for the night, you might want to make a reservation (a must) for dinner at the Tower Top Restaurant at Emerson & Green. For us, it wasn't the best meal we had, but the atmosphere and people were great... and a deal at about USD$25/person w/o drinks.

Aug 11th, 2005, 12:13 PM

Hi Caligan,

My hubbie and I stayed at the Tembo House for the 3 nights that we were in Stone Town and we loved it! I know that your options are the Dhow Palace, which is its sister hotel, so the only thing I can say is that we didn't mind not being able to get alcohol on the premises. Although we like to have a drink, we found that we could head out for one, and that in the heat, we really feel like much drinking anyway...! The Serena is beautiful (we went for sunset one night) - and I believe all 3 of the Serena, the Tembo and the Dhow have pools - this, to me, I would say is the most important, as it's extremely hot in Stone Town. So, after all of my ramblings here , I would say that if money is no option, I would stay at the Serena, but the Dhow I'm sure will be terrific as well (I would recommend the Tembo House absolutely!).

Enjoy!
Aug 11th, 2005, 02:02 PM
sandi

You didn't mention Tembo House. As alwaysafrica mentions, if the choice was Dhow or Tembo, I'd go with the latter. Besides the pool, recently added, they're on the beach.

Search this Thread