Zanzibar Help

Feb 19th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Zanzibar Help

I am going to Tanzania (Arusha area) on a volunteering vacation in June/July 2006 and want to spend my last weekend in Zanzibar. Working on return flights and there are good options out of either Dar or Kilimanjaro. Thinking it might work well to fly from Kili to Dar then ferry back and forth from Dar to Zanzibar and fly out from Dar, but wondering about the reliability of the ferry schedule and the flights. WOuld it be better to do a charter flight back to Kili from Zanzibar? Am I making this way too difficult?? Just want to get as much out of my stay as possible and understanding this will be a quick visit, wondering about the best way to handle those logistics. Thanks for any guidance...
Feb 19th, 2006, 03:17 PM

WaterGirl,
You can fly from Arusha to Zanzibar direct--no need for a charter flight. If you want to take the ferry and see Dar, that is, of course, up to you. But we flew and as you'll only have a weekend...

Sandi and others would know the cost of the flight. I want to say it's around $200 o/w. There are several carriers; we flew Precision Air. There were some glitches on our way home but we made it to Nairobi in time for our 11pm flight. By way of Dar and JRO!
Feb 19th, 2006, 03:26 PM

Oops, sorry, perhaps I misunderstood.

If you can fly home from Dar I don't see any problem with taking the ferry back from Zanzibar, although I would still prefer to fly. It's about 15-20 minutes, nice views, a little on the bumpy and nausea-inducing side if you're prone to motion sickness. Don't know the cost because, as I said, that was a bit of an unexpected detour.
Feb 19th, 2006, 04:32 PM
sandi

There are about three flights a day from ZNZ/DAR - flight cost about $80. The ferry is less expensive, but the ride can be choppy and often doesn't keep to a schedule. Flight to JRO is almost $200.

Search this Thread