More Safari Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Safari Questions

Thanks for your help so far!
I have a few more questions.

1) Itinerary - We have 8 days/7 nights starting Dec 31. Is it possible to see migration at this time? Some of what I read suggests it's possible in Tanzania? What would be a reasonable itinerary, including Serengeti, Ngorogoro, Manyara...is adding Masai Mara too much? Or is it better to stick to Masai Mara only?

2) I would like a more intimate experience...should we do only tented camps or a mix of tented camps and lodges, and does anyone have any favorites?

3) I read somewhere you should pack light because you are only allowed a small duffel to fly in...what does everyone do with other luggage if you are traveling after the safari? What if we are flying in from Kampala and not returning there?

Thank you!
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 01:16 AM

For great intimacy tented camps are the best, well for now my itinerary would look like the following for that time of the year:
1 Night - Arusha
1 Night - Lake Manyara
2 Nights - Serengeti
1 Night - Ndutu
1 Night - Lobo
2 Nights - Ngorogoro
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 03:31 AM

Given the time of year you want to go, it'll be hard to predict exactly where the wildebeests will be. Here is a web link that gives a month by month breakdown of where they were in 2009 - you could get some idea by looking at this.

http://www.ultimateafrica.com/travel...migration.html

If I only had 8 days and 7 nights, I would split the time between 2 camps (areas) only. Too much moving around wastes a lot of time. Definitely not enough time to go to both Tanzania and Kenya. Pretty much certain the herds will not be in the Masai Mara in early January - but you would see lots and lots of other animals, so that would still be a good choice. For Tanzania only trying to include Serengeti, Ngorongoro and Manyara would be a lot for only 7 nights. Lots of driving to get from one place to another, although this is doable.

I am a strong lover of the tented camps - much more intimate experience, great night sounds of the animals, better opportunity to meet fellow travelers.

I have always gone with a small duffle bag and a backpack only. No checked luggage. However, this is for the small internal flights within Africa. Even having said that…. I just returned from Kenya where I saw people with HUGE suitcases (hard sided) being loaded on the small planes with no comment from the pilot. So I would say this "rule" is not enforced.
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 11:36 AM

LOBO in Dec/Jan? Really?

Why would anyone want to be that far north during those months when the action is in the south? Especially when you have 8/days max?

While some paxs (seems those from Asia - China, Japan) travel with these (appear to be hard sided bags), but they're not the old Samsonite tyoe, rather new light-weight plastic, so not all that heavy. And while pilots might not say anything to paxs out in the bush, many of the carriers are cracking down on weight, and as goes one carrier, the others will follow. Why when they request 'soft-sided, duffle-type, without wheels' they mean it. You'll never know till too late when any carrier will change the rules and you're in the middle of your holiday. Much like, if the requirement for YF inoc might change while you're traveling to East Africa. And if Tanzania says 'no longer required' but traveler is transiting thru South Africa it's still a must... then what?

Make life easier overall, as soft duffle bags are inexpensive and can be folded and stored in one of your larger bags, once back home.
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 07:27 PM

I agree if they say soft sided duffel then I wouldn't dream of taking anything else only to find out as you arrive at airstrip that your luggage is a problem.

Where are you staying before & after the 7/8 days? I stay in the same hotel or whatever the night before safari and the night after. Most will hold luggage for you until you return so then I only take my safari duffel into the bush.

Hope this makes sense.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all.
I am getting some quotes back now.
For Ngorongoro is it better to stay right in the creater at a place like Sopa, or stay further out at a place like Kitela?
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 02:38 AM

1) With 8 days pass on Masai Mara
2) Mix camps and lodges, the Serengeti Sopa Lodge is really a gem and its easy on the pocketbook
3) A reliable tour operator with hold your luggage for you
4) Im not crazy about the Ng Sopa. Clean, great location but felt too touristy
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 08:52 AM

Kitela is in Karatu which is east of Ngo and at the beginning/start of Karatu vs closer to the crater which is next area west of Karatu.