sharm el sheikh

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Carol

sharm el sheikh

Has anyone been to S el S lately? I'm wondering if it's worth visting lately and if tours and diving trips are running?
I was in Israel for business and tried to visit Eilat. Many tours, i.e., Petra Jordan, Mt. Sinai were not running from there due to lack of tourism. I may return to Israel in October, and S el S is not far - I thought I would try there.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 02:36 PM
DianeG

Hi Carol!

I was in Sharm last December. It was relatively quiet, but still a busy place. If you dive, it's great - fewer boats/divers at once at the various dive sites. Oonas Divers, Camel Dive Club, Ocean College, Red Sea College, Sinai Divers, etc., all still going out everyday. Hotels & restaurants not too crowded. I had a great time! Did all my diving with Oonas and it was excellent.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:08 PM
David

We were in Sharm two weeks ago at the Hyatt Regency. Although we are not divers, the dive boats were out in full force and plenty of people were lined up with tanks and equipment for the shuttle bus to the docks. Snorkeling was outstanding right off the hotel's beach and dock. Meanwhile, tours to various sites (St. Catherine's, Mt. Sinai, etc.) were running on a regular basis. Not particularly crowded, but then it was July. We encountered no other Americans in Sharm, only Middle Eastern and European tourists. Have fun.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Carol

Thanks for the info. Things are heating up again in Israel, but if we do go, sharm el-sheikh it is!

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 10:56 AM
pulcino

Greetings!

Could anyone tell me how long does it take from Sharm to Ste Catherine, and whether or not there's a public bus going there?
I'd rather avoid organized tours, if possible...

Thanks!