Zanzibar accomodation

Oct 1st, 2004, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Zanzibar accomodation

Dear all,

I am intending to spend 10 days, next March in Zanzibar, and I need your help.
I read something about beaches in Zanzibar, and I am a litle bit confused. I read that in some beaches there are problems with low tide (depth of water) to take good baths. Some of the beaches has so many corals and urichs that we should wear rubber shoes to avoid cuts in our feets. Anybody could give me some hints about the best beaches in Zanzibar. I need some hints about resorts as well, preferentially located near the nice beaches. Another question that I want to put here is about which coast is nicer, North, East or West. About the price of the resort, I don't want to stay in a budget one but I don't want to pay 200USD for a double room.
Best regards to all.
Jorge
Oct 1st, 2004, 12:51 PM

Check out Palm Beach Inn in Bwejuu or Mnarani Beach Cottages and Amaan Bungalows, both of these located in Nungwi. Then there is Matemwe Beach Village/Bungalows in Matemwe. I may be wrong, but I think there are websites for all. Good luck in your search and have a wonderful stay!
Oct 1st, 2004, 02:48 PM

I'm not certain what the best beaches are. I can tell you that we stayed about 1km north of Bwejuu, at the Sunrise Guest House, and were very happy; it was quite moderately priced and we loved the food (the owner is Belgian and there was plenty of Belgian chocolate on the menu), the staff, the atmosphere. It is not, I must stress, a resort, and it's very quiet.

The tide was low for about the 1st half of the day, and we had to walk very far out to swim. Not a problem in the afternoons, though. Also, our guest house had a pool (and a relaxing bar!), so we managed. Didn't experience any problems with rocks/coral--the sand is like flour.

Our top choices were Pongwe and Matemwe Beach Village. Both were booked, however, and we ended up in Bwejuu by default. I thought it was beautiful. They have a website; check it out, although it might be too budget for you.

By the way, while we were there a we met a couple that was spending 2 weeks travelling from village to village, spending a few days in each place. That might give you a good taste of the differences between the north, east, etc.

Regardless, Zanzibar is a lovely, relaxing place. Enjoy!

Search this Thread