zanzibar

Dec 14th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

zanzibar

In planning my safari, I have 3 nights to spend in Zanzibar. Should I spend this time in Stone Town or out on some beach? I definitely want some beach time, a day of scuba diving, but would also like to explore Stone Town. Logistically, would it be easier to stay in town and take trips out to the beach, or stay on the beach and go back to Stone Town to wander around? Right now our travel agent has us booked at Breezes, and while this sounds nice, I am really trying to cut back on some costs. Any other suggestions for beach hotels that might be cheaper? Thank you.
Dec 14th, 2005, 03:44 PM

Are you flying out from Zanzibar? If so, you could arrive and go straight to the beach for two nights and spend your last night in Stone Town.

africatravelresource.com lists a large number of accommodations on Zanzibar, although if I were you I'd try to book direct or use the operator you've got now to book.

There is another website that lists a large number of places to stay on Zanzibar and for the life of me I can't remember/find it. Sandi, who posts here, should know if you can't find with a google search.

I think many people choose Breezes because it has a/c, so that's definitely something to consider. We had no problems with fans only at the Sunrise Hotel (near Bwejuu), but it's up to you.

Enjoy Zanzibar!
Dec 14th, 2005, 03:46 PM

Also, try zanzibartourism.net for more accommodation information.
Dec 17th, 2005, 10:06 AM
sandi

Try the below link (cut/paste into your browser).

http://www.encounterzanzibar.com/index.htm

You'll find hotels listed on all coasts and budgets.

As Leely mentions, Breezes has a/c and is something I, personally, prefer to consider when staying on a hot and humid island. There are plenty of properties without a/c, and some guests can be satisfied with only ceiling fans. Breezes is a lovely resort. Choices, choices.

If your departing flight from Zanzibar to DAR or JRO or NBO is in early morning, then do the beach first, and finish up in Stone Town which is 10-minutes from the airport. If you have an afternoon/evening flight, they you can do ST first, then the beach.

As to doing one or the other from the other... the drive can as much as 1-1/2 hrs each way. So best to stay put at one or the other based on your flight schedule departing ZNZ.

Often you arrive ZNZ mid-day, then drive to your beach destination - check-in is rarely before 2pm... spend the rest of the day here, then a full next day. On third day after breakfast drive to ST where you can arrange for an afternoon tour around and through the winding alleys of this fascinating place. That's your 3-days; similar on the reverse. With a late departure from ZNZ, you'll get 1/2-day more on beach or in ST.

It's up to you.

Search this Thread