Search

Weekend tours out of Lusaka

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2013, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weekend tours out of Lusaka

I'm living in Lusaka briefly and want to take weekend trips to Lower Zambezi National Park, Lake Kariba, and other places.

I don't have a car, so I'm wondering if anyone organizes tours. Any suggestions on which tour companies?

Thanks!
Michelle
Old May 11th, 2013, 05:39 AM

Hi Michelle - I can highly recommend a weekend visit to Mukambi Safari Lodge which is at the gate of the Kafue National Park and they will arrange transport from and to Lusaka for you. The drive is about 3 hrs on good tar. The lodge is on the banks of the Kafue river - fab sunsets and the animals are all around. They offer game drives and river cruises included in the rates if you wish. Their office is also in Lusaka so you can pop in and chat to them.

South Luwangwa is a 7.5 hour drive from Lusaka so flying to Mfuwe is best. It is an amazing park ( one of my favourite) and if you want to keep the costs down I suggest Flat Dogs which is right at the gate making game viewing very quick and easy. Some of the other well known lodges are more expensive and further away from the park entrance. To keep costs down you can arrange your own flit and Flat Dogs will pick you up from the airstrip which is not far from them.

Have a wonderful time.
Old May 11th, 2013, 10:46 PM

Flying to Mfuwe is the best option.Drive is seriously long with bad stretches of road.The other places you could look into in S. Luangwa is Thornicroft and Wildlife camps. Proflight Zambia has daily flights to S.Luangwa.

Vic falls is a 5-6hr drive.There are lux buses from Lusaka.Lower Zambezi is about 4hrs.Some good lodges on the confluence of the Kafue and the Zambezi.Canoe safaris are great there.

Wasn't impressed with Lake Kariba.Though a nice place to unwind with some good resorts by the lake.

You could do these on your own.Don't need an agent.
Old May 12th, 2013, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips on Kafue and SLNP. I'm definitely planning to visit both once I'm done working here and have longer than a weekend to make those trips.

Good to know about Lake Kariba...will prioritize Lower Zambezi. You say you don't need an agent, but is there public transportation there? I don't have a car unfortunately. That's why I was thinking I'd have to go with a guided tour and was wondering who does them to Lower Zambezi.
Old May 12th, 2013, 10:59 PM

For trips to Lower Zambezi and Kariba I hired a taxi.As we were 4 of us,it kind of worked out.Still affordable.There could be buses taking that route.Mazhandu Family Bus Services operate lux and semi lux buses.you could check with them.I used their services to vic falls and back.they are good.