Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Zambia, Visa Waivers Scrapped (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/zambia-visa-waivers-scrapped-293379/)

Shumba Jan 28th, 2008 01:19 AM

Zambia, Visa Waivers Scrapped

Found this on the Thorntree Forum on Lonely Planet. I t has immediate effect from what they say

The Zambian Government have decided that they will no longer be offering a visa waiver and that all travellers will have to pay for their visas either before or on arrival in Zambia.

We have received the following visa pricelist them - please note that your clients should check before departing on their trip to Africa to see what the cost of the visa will be for their specific nationality as the prices quoted below may change without notice. They should also confirm whether or not they will need to purchase the visa before arrival, or whether they can purchase them at the border on arrival.

British:

Single entry – Pounds 75-00 or US$ 140-00
Multiple entry – Pounds 240-00 or US$ 442-00

Americans:

Standard visa – US$ 135-00

Canadians:

Standard visa – US$ 55-00

Other nationalities:

Single entry – US$ 50-00
Double entry – US$ 80-00
Multiple entries – US$ 160-00

Seems Zambians don't appreciate British guests!

The words, foot, shoot and tourism spring to mind.

HariS Jan 28th, 2008 04:29 AM

I heard about this earlier today.

I wonder about the duration of visa that is granted on the multiple entry?

fluke Jan 28th, 2008 05:03 AM

I heard about this today also. Sucks.
Wonder if this is a multiple entry visa (in case you want to cross over to Zimbabwe and back)

HariS Jan 28th, 2008 05:08 AM

Yep, if you want to go to Zim and get back you will need multiple.

jgoebel Jan 28th, 2008 05:14 AM

My TA just informed me that for our Vic Falls / Chobe trip we'll have to pay the following:

$135US EACH and every time we cross the border. Read $135 to see falls from Zim side/ $135 to go to chobe / $135 to return from chobe.

That's $405 x family of 4 = $1620 in VISA fees we didn't expect!!!!!

Can anyone say "Ouch!"

jgoebel Jan 28th, 2008 05:16 AM

Meant to say $135 to enter Zambia, $135 to return from Zim and $135 to return form Chobe...sorry.

Puts a real crimp in that Chobe day trip, doesn't it?

sandi Jan 28th, 2008 05:41 AM

jgoebel - See my post on your other thread re visiting in Zim rather than Zam.

Shumba Jan 28th, 2008 06:27 AM

I would recommend going to the Zim side, the falls are better from that side.

I can not comprehend why this idiotic decision has been taken by some greedy politician. Zambia has been bathing in success as Zim has faltered.........and now this........hmmm

#I can see a lot of people skipping Zambia for Zim. I can not see it affecting those people who want a Zambian safari so much.

Think of thsoe who use LVI

1) to relax for a few days following a safari in Bots, save yourself a couple of hundred dollars and go to Zim.....................

or people will just choose to use hotels in Jo'burg. It is a substantial amount of money. Sure, to some, cost is not an issue, but not for the majority of travellers.

2) People from Zim travel over to do day activities in Zambia.............I think no more

3) Zambia was an excellent place for backpackers to able to see the falls, giving the economy a full spread in the market- for those on such a shoestring, no more LVI at a couple of hundred $ per shot.

4) People use LVI to fly out from CHobe etc and places like that. It seems Vic falls or Air Bots will now be the more cost effective route. Just tink of the all the airport exit fees they will now miss out on.

I think that they have completely misjudged this situation. Trying to cash in on Zambias growing reputation. Whilst I can see it valid for their safari choices, it does not seem feasible when there is a good an option across the falls.

The tourism trade will soon be hit by this period of economic downturn. Not exactly the time to try and extract monopoly rents

just my 2 cents worth,

And we wonder why African countries fall behind in their development when decisions like these are made.

PS I know that in many cases they charge a like for like price. Though i think that we all know why there is a high Western world cost for a zambian to enter the UK for example.

The West want to prevent an economic migration etc, so put up barriers. Those people going to these countries are all tourists. Yes their budgets may vary, but if the economy and country wants to grow, then they should drop these ridiculous pricing systems.......

Ultimately, we do not need Zambian tourists to sustain the Western economies. So we can afford to have barriers to prevent illegal migration. They do need our tourist dollars, and will feel the pinch when people may start to look at Zim.

I know that many in the region have ideas of huge profits from the world cup, maybe they also think that people from Kenya will be willing to pay more for a safe destination..................in this, they may be proved correct

luangwablondes Jan 28th, 2008 08:18 AM

jgoebel

Ask your TA to check that. Changing the USA visa to single entry at that price seems unlikely.

matnikstym Jan 28th, 2008 09:13 AM

the details of this are also found on Robin Pope's page. Those in the safari business are lobbying to change it back, but for now, that is how it stands.
www.robinpopesafaris.net

Shumba Jan 28th, 2008 10:45 AM

I believe afer talking to some firneds, that US guests will pay the $135 and the Visa will be valid for 3 years. That is the way I also read it on the Visa website, but I could be wrong

luangwablondes Jan 28th, 2008 11:46 AM

There is a rumor that ZAWA is raising park fees soon? Notice that I say rumor.

Shumba Jan 28th, 2008 12:02 PM

It would not surprise me, they have already started to nationalise hunting concessions in GMAs as they are short of money, so very plausible

matnikstym Jan 28th, 2008 03:08 PM

I would think it would be valid for three years as when they raised it to $100 US 2 years ago, it was valid for 3 years, but you never know.

HariS Jan 28th, 2008 05:13 PM

Having a 3 year valid visa is good -gives you the flexibility of last minute safaris etc etc., when you get a chance to.

In my case, we need visas to travel anywhere and everywhere and tourist visas are normally for such a short duration that the whole process has to be repeated time and again - almost always, need to get the visas prior to the trip and not at the border post.