Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Zambia safari operators (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/zambia-safari-operators-943023/)

albatros Jul 16th, 2012 05:37 AM

Zambia safari operators

My wife and I are leading to Zambia in 2013 for 16 days in shoulder period.
after lurking everywhere, we put down the folloxing trip:
-fly Lusaka-Mfuwe:Mfuwe lodge 3nights
-tranfert by road to CHINDENI CAMP 4nights
-back to Mfuwe airstrip + fly to OLDMONDORO CAMP 5nights
-fly to Livingstone 3 nights
Would appreciate comments on the trip,which hotel at Livingstone and own experience with Zambian operators.
Is it possible for an early flight from Livingstone to Lusaka to catch the British Airways
at 08:35 H
Best regards
ALBATROS

inquest Jul 16th, 2012 11:14 PM

I leave for Zambia tomorrow and after a day in lusaka will be flying to Mfuwe.Staying 6 nights between Wildlife camp and Thornicroft then will be flying to livingstone.Planning to stay in Vic falls for a couple of days.Will be doing Hwange NP too,before heading home..Suggest you take a flight back to Lusaka the previous days,not worth taking a chance.
This can be done on your own.Book directly with the lodges you'll get great deals.Proflight flies to most places in Zambia.You can book directly online
http://www.proflight-zambia.com/
Best deals/rates about 45days ahead.Prices fluctuate.
I'll be glad to provide/collect any specific info for you.The only issue would be net access.will be on/off this thread.

luangwablondes Jul 17th, 2012 03:36 AM

inquest
Why are you staying at Thornicroft and Wildlife camps? Why not split between two camps that don't take you into the same game viewing area. Like maybe Thornicroft and Zikomo Safari Camp.

atravelynn Jul 17th, 2012 07:53 AM

If you are looking for Zambia safari operators, I am currently working with Rod Tether from Zambian Expeditions.

[email protected]

Since 1997 I have worked with Rod several times, either as a guide, or as a husband/wife team camp owner at my favorite camp until it closed--Kutandala. Now he is he booking and leading Zambia trips.

Your BA flt is British Airways at 08:35, so in the morning? I dont' think you can get to Lusaka by about 6:30 am, 2 hours before your international flight.

Yours looks like a super trip. See if you can canoe the Chifungulu Channel while at Old Mondoro. Offers beautiful views of animals along banks.

Sorry no help on Livingstone hotel.

Have fun planning and anticipating!

albatros Jul 18th, 2012 06:38 AM

atravelynn,

I will take contact with Rod Tether.Is Kutandala definitely closed.
I will have to spent a night at Lusaka to catch the BA early flight.
Appreciate information about Chifungulu Channel.
Is october a good period for such a trip.

Many thanks

atravelynn Jul 18th, 2012 04:06 PM

In that part of the world, October is termed the suicide month because of the heat. But if you don't mind heat or if you go in early morn, should be ok. I'm looking at Nov in Zambia, heat and rain be dammmmmned.

The water may be low on the channel in Oct meaning you can't canoe it but who knows? Maybe just part of it.

Since Rod and his wife ran Kutandala and they are doing other safari activities in Zambia now, I think it is closed. It was in North Luangwa.

panecott Jul 19th, 2012 04:34 AM

I liked the Zambezi Sun in Livingstone. It was right at the falls and had its own private entrance. Great pool, great buffets, colorful decor in attractive rooms.
My room faced the falls side of the hotel and I could see the mist from the falls. In the early mornings the mist was the colors of sunrise. Just beautiful.
A short walk away is the Royal Livingstone, which is beautiful -- more luxurious and a lot more expensive.
Either hotel would be a good choice.

Both of these hotels are a short walk from the border and the bridge into Zimbabwe. It is possible to walk across the bridge without a visa, which I did a few times.

panecott Jul 19th, 2012 05:00 AM

Just to clarify my last statement.

If you want to "officially" enter Zimbabwe to see that side of the falls, you need a visa, which you can get right at the border. But it is possible to cross the bridge and see the views from there without one.