Zambia safari on a budget

Jul 7th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Zambia safari on a budget

My husband and I are going to Zambia in October and want to plan a budget safari. He was born in Zambia and has not been back for 16yrs and neither of us have ever been on safari. Could you suggest a safari under $150 pp per day? Any other travel tips would also be appreciated.
Jul 7th, 2004, 06:48 PM

Do a search on "Roccco" and you will get some good pointers. That might be a little light on the budget --- but you know what, if you start a dialogue with some of the camps like Roccco did, you might negotiate yourself a pretty sweet deal. What's the worst that could happen? You may have to pay a bit more per night for fewer nights, but you will have a good safari experience.
Jul 8th, 2004, 02:53 PM

kundanoah,

For the most bang for your buck, you may want to look at www.chachachasafaris.com.

If you want to splurge a little, but still get great value, you may want to look at Kaingo, www.kaingo.com. Your husband should be able to qualify for local rates, given he was born and raised? in Zambia. I would imagine that he still has documentation such as a birth certificate showing that he is Zambian.

Local rates are often 50% less than tourist rates and you should be able to save a ton of money by using the angle of being Zambian. Use your husbands Zambian heritage for all its worth!

Jul 10th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. My husband is a Zambian citizen and therefore holds a Zambian passport and bc. I appreciate the suggestions to offer this infomation for possible discounts. I emailed Kaingo and mentioned this to them and they offerred a discounted rate from $330 to $250 pppn.
I do however think we have decided to stay at Wildlife Camp for about $100pppn. Not as luxurious as some of the other places but we are sort looking for a more rustic feel while we are in S. Luwangua.

We have not decided on a place to stay when we head to Victoria Falls. We only plan on being there for 2 nights/3 days and would like to stay in a "nice" place as we are celebrating our anniversary. We would like to spend time at the Falls as well as doing some wildlife viewing and maybe a little fishing. We would love to stay at Stanley Safari Lodge but almost $600 a night for accomodations only is a little too much for us. Any suggestions for a place under $200 pppn?
We are considering the following places,

> -Nyala lodge
> -Royal Linvingston
> -Thorntree-lodge
> -Waterfront
> -Zambezi-Chundu
> -Jungle Junction
> -Natural Mystic Lodge
> and if money were not object, Tongebezi or my
> favorite, The Stanley Safari
> Lodge/honeymoon suite.

Comments or suggestions on these or other places to stay would be appreciated.

Search this Thread