San Camp to remain closed in 2009

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

San Camp is not going to open for the 2009 season, it will re-open in 2010. In 2009 Uncharted Africa guests will choose between Jack's Camp and Camp Kalahari, which is newly refurbished and considerably cheaper than San but offers all the same activities.
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 07:36 AM

Hey PB, do you know the reason for this? Is it due to reduced bookings, to lack of staff resources, for refurbishment or some other reason?
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 04:44 PM

I have the exact question as Kavey. I'm wondering if this is the first of many such closings.
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 05:24 PM

In another forum, it was reported that WS Lunga River Lodge in Zambia (I stayed there one night last year) would not open for the season.
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 07:48 PM

They were closed for refurbs.
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

Kavey and Lynn, they say they made a difficult decision to consolidate their operation so I SPECULATE that the reason is concern over having enough bookings to run 3 camps this high season. Keep in mind though that Camp Kalahari is new to the Uncharted Africa portfolio as it used to be wonderfully unknown Makgadikgadi Camp, but I believe it was so unknown that it was operating at low capcities previously. Thus, for all I know Uncharted could have close to their normal amount of visitors to stay at the edge of the pans but actually need an increase to justify operating 3 camps.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 04:00 PM

i am booked at Camp kalahari at the end of May, so I will give you all feedback about my experiences.
I just got my pre-departure kit. 90 days till I leave, I am counting.
Amy
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 09:44 AM

amy
Camp Kalahari sounds exciting.

As there are more camps in that vicinity (DVL, Kalahari game Lodge, Meno a Kwena....) what made you choose Camp Kalahari?

I am curious because we are thinking of doing the Kalahari in Oct 09. We intended to stay at San but that remains closed and therefore we were focusing on to Deception Valley lodge because Jack's is just out of reach - despite it's wonderful.

SV
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 10:49 AM

We passed through Camp Kalahari from Planet Boabab to collect the quad bikes and do the pans sleepout. It's in a lovely position among the palm trees (an unexpected sight on the pans) but we only saw the lounge area, not the accommodation. Had a look at staying there this year but Unchartered Africa do dollar rates and that's too much of an increase on last year's dollar/sterling prices for us this trip. I'm sure you'll like it, amycyma, looking forward to your feedback. How many nights are you staying by the way?
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 01:19 PM

I will be at Camp Kalahari just 2 nights. (In Botswana a total of 10). I booked my trip with African Adventure co, and I wanted to do a couple of nights in the Kalahari (going end of May) and this is what they suggested given my budget. It seemed fine to me, and more affordable then Jack's or San camp.
I like the possibility of sleeping out under the stars, though when i get there i might have a change of heart, who knows.
But I promise a trip report upon my return
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 01:31 PM

Sleeping out under the stars was fantastic - a must-do!
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 01:57 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
I agree, tockoloshe. Sleeping under the stars in the middle of the pans was the highlight of my trip in 2005. http://www.pbase.com/cjw/image/51469310

I have a question about this area. The pans should be flooded in March, right? And they are full of zebras, flamingos and their predators. Is the whole pans under water? Or just a portion. Can you do a mobile safari then or do you have to stay in a camp? Does Jack's Camp get flooded? Tell me how this works.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 08:04 PM

"A must do"- i trust you all, no change of heart will occur.
amy
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 10:31 AM

Now that different camps, mobiles and sleeping under stars have been discussed, do you think you could stay with the meerkat researchers for a night or so and follow the meerkats throughout the day? I think they keep track of them most of the day.

After the morning, warmup in the sun, they were harder to follow but it would be possible, I believe.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 03:09 PM

Good idea Lynn. I didn't think I'd care about the meerkats since they were so relentlessly hyped because of Meerkat Manor, and I doubted I could be all that enamored of, well, rodents. WRONG! Could spend all day with them. (See my profile pic for the reason why).
Leslie
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 03:35 PM

I'm staying at Tau Pan camp which is a new camp in the kalahari (opens March 1st.) I'll be there end of March for 3 nights. Can't promise a trip report on it 'cause you all know how bad I am at reports, but when I get back, if someone reminds me, I'll fill everyone in. ;-)
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 06:34 PM

Never heard of that camp, divewop. Who runs it?
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Original Poster

Tau Pan is a new Kwando Camp and 3 days ago a pack of 10 wild dogs killed an oryx right in front of camp and same day a cheetah also had a kill close to camp. Hopefully Divewop has some great luck.

Camp Kalahri is indeed gloriously located on Hyena Island, a magnificent oasis of palms at the edge of the Pans.

SV: note that there are huge differences in the 'Kalahari' lodges and the experiences at Deception Valley Lodge and Camp Kalahari are very different -- I happen to love both but they are not really interchangeable. If you were looking at San then Camp Kalahari is similar, same activities (meerkats/quad biking) based on/around Makgadikgadi Pans. Deception Valley Lodge is a private concession just north of the Central Kalahari Game Reserve and there is no wide open pans, no quad biking, no meerkats, but there is leopards, lions, oryx, etc., much more diversity of mammals than on the Pans as well as a great bushmen experience and the bushmen do a great job of tracking the cats on game drives. Camp Kalahari has a rack rate in October that is signficantly below DVL's. DVL is much more luxurious.

Meno A Kwena/Leroo La Tau are on the Boteti River which is the other side of Makgadikgadi National Park from the salt pans. They have their own special wildlife sightings (including rhinos of late) focused on the river area and do long day trips to Nxai Pan or extended mobiles to Makgadikgadi Pans (including quad bike camp outs by Meno) or down to the Central Kalahari Game Reserve. And now both Wilderness Safaris and Kwando have opened permanent camps inside the CKGR and Kwando has their new camp inside Nxai Pan.

Then outside the western boundary of the CKGR far removed from these others is Grassland Bushman Lodge which has outstanding bushman interaction as well as horseback riding.

That is not even all the choices but you can see there are lots of great desert choices but they are far from all the same so be careful to think what activities/animals you are hoping to experience to find the best fit.
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 05:32 AM

I like the meerkat profile pic, LALeslie.

Great Kalahari overview, PB!
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 06:01 AM

Wow, PB...Now I'm praying to the wild dog gods they're still hanging around when I get there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -