To shorten Cutters long post

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2007, 12:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read with such fun cutters post about guests and things they do and I thought it would be fun to have a post where we could advise of the things that we get told.

So here is my first offering:

I had clients in Cape Town and the guide called me to tell me that the clients are very unhappy with him as he told them they are going to downtown cape Town and to please leave all their valuables in the hotel safe. One guest that was dripping gold and diamonds refused to take her jewllery off. He said that he had told her she is a walking target for mugging and to please not go out with all her jewles.
She then called me and advised that the guide was impying that South Africa is crime ridden and we are just jealous and do not want her to be seen in her jewels. I advised that it is out job to advise her and that she has been advised that we will not be held liable should something happen, well after a very long screaming match about how I am just trying to scare her and do not want her to enjoy her jewles, she said to me and we go to Victoria Falls next and I bet when i get there you will have switched the falls off just so that I cannot enjoy them!!!
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 06:02 AM

Interesting client. Was she 14? I’ve dealt with that kind of people working as a teacher.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 01:59 AM

Doogle - very interesting. I really enjoy reading the "not so good behaviour" of visitors, think it is important that people understand what traveling in a diff. country is all about.
On my previous trip to Africa, the manageress told all of us during her introduction to the camp to be careful of scorpions that this time of the year (raining) they are a bit more active. Then one of the guests had to jump up and say "NOW YOU JUST KILLED THE EXPERIENCE FOR ME" - what if the manager did not say it and a scorpion got her on the big toe because she was not wearing her closed shoes at night then sure it would have been a case of "WHY DO YOU NOT TELL YOUR GUESTS?" Needless to say this women felt very sorry for herself the entire trip and said she developed a fobia now for scorpions and her safari experience was not good because she was scared the entire time (and that without a sighting of a scorpion).
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Original Poster

You always get the odd person out!

An even better one on the boat cruise at phinda, sipping sundowners watching the sunset perfect afternoon. The guide has just explained for 20 minutes on the habits of the cocktail ant, how it runs down fetches mud runs back up the tree and makes his nest out of mud and they do this endlessly... low and behold we cruise further 5 minutes down, what do we see...a MASSIVE cocktail ant nest....what does the one guest say.... "OH MY GOODNESS WHAT ANIMAL BUILT SUCH A BIG NEST"

quick as a falsh the ranger says.... a hippopotumus and tonight she will climb up and lay her eggs...

To the guests....a perfectly acceptable explination!
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 12:09 AM

I love this thread. Here's another one.
We were sitting one day watching a herd of Wildebeest and some of them were running around and pronking like springbok when a French guest asks me what animal do Wildebeest eat. I promptly replied "Giraffe, thats why they are jumping like that, they are practising to grab the giraffe by the neck". Well, to say the least she was very satisfied with my answer.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 12:51 AM

Hi Doogle,

I am concerned about carrying my SLR camera around touring Kruger, the Panorama route, and later 5 days around Cape Town. I do really enjoy photography. Should I compromise this, leave my SLR home and only use a smal P&S camera? I usually carry a small Lowepro holster bag with two lenses in it but though for this trip to change it to a simple non branded and not too noticeable backpack.

Of course we will other dress very simply and no watches/jewellry etc.

Old Jan 8th, 2008, 04:19 AM

Mohammed - leave the jewellery/watches at home. Wear a cheap wath if you must.

Dont worry about the camera as long as you are careful. Never walk is dodgy looking areas especially after dark. Its the usual precautions. Dont leave anything on display in the car when you leave it parked. I have also been warned to avoid keping valuables in the rear seat while driving in urban areas.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Dear Mohammed

Your camera should not be a problem at all the Pamoramic route is really safe with loads of tourists there every day so it will be fine. As long as you are not flashy you will be fine, it is like any place in the world if you flash and show everything you have you are looking to be mugged just be vigil and you will be just fine. Bring the camera you love with especially for Kruger you always neeed a good camera there!

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Okay so I have another one...

Rocktail Bay, as you know not a game area but really great for fauna flora and small bugs and creepy crawlies...

So after a perfect morning of snorkelling we head out on a drive of the property adn we find a dung beetle, the ranger goes through the whole story about how they roll, it, lay thier eggs in it on and on it was a great explination....

A very clever lady int he vehicle pipes up.....so tell me "exactly how many miles does he roll it???"