Zambia Lodge Selection - Help!

Old Oct 12th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zambia Lodge Selection - Help!

My wife and I are spending the last three nights of our trip to southern Africa in the Victoria Falls area. We must decide between Stanley Safari Lodge or Sussi & Chuma. Does anyone have any preferences or thoughts? Thanks!
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 03:50 PM

I stayed at Stanley Safari Lodge a few years back and would not recommend it. It is beautiful but quite a ways from the falls (20 minutes by car) and you can not walk to the falls. We had an issue with the manager and he wouldn't even take us to see the falls before our scheduled flight back to JNB.
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 04:15 PM

I can vouch for Sussi & Chuma having stayed there in one of the tree houses this past August. I have not stayed at Stanley, so I can't say anything about them. S&C is now a Sanctuary Lodge, owned by A&K. It's beautifully renovated and up to standard. You cannot go wrong here. You must know though, that it's not within walking distance to the falls. Then you must stay at the 5 star Royal Livingston or the cheaper 3 star Zambezi Sun.
I hope this is helpful,
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both - much appreciated. Any other thoughts out there?
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 06:06 AM

I was thinking of picking the Zambezi Sun just because it was close to the falls (you can walk) and I didn't plan on spending much time there. I plan to do some activities. I thought it was a lot cheaper than the rest but when I went to their website the rack rate is $500+ per night. I need to ask my travel agent what the real cost of the lodges are so I can make an informed choice. Let us know what you decide and why.
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 09:06 AM

We stayed at Stanley Safari Lodge this past 31st August and our only regret was that we didn't have a second night. My husband and I loved the lodge. The open rooms were lovely, the service impeccable (they assign one person to you for the duration of your visit) and the food very good. You eat under the stars at a place of your choosing - on the second floor balcony where the views are fantastic, in the garden, beside the pool, in the pool (this is popular in the heat of summer appartently)!! - wherever your little heart desires! We found the manager very helpful and friendly - he was readily available and came and chatted with us at dinner. I gather he has only been there a couple of years - so new since Matnikstym visited. Perhaps that is why our visit was so much more positive.

People seem to either love or hate this place and it appears to be because of the rooms that are open to the elements - people complain about the bats (we didn't see any) or bugs (yes, there were mosquitoes). We found neither to be a problem, but we are both biologists and we were there in winter when there are less of both. You sleep under a mosquito net so you aren't bothered at night. The views from the rooms are lovely - we could lie in bed and see the lights in the valley.

As for not being able to walk to the falls - this is true, but most guide books don't recommend you do this anyway because of the number of recent muggings. We (just my husband and I, not a group) visited the falls with a guide that the lodge arranged for us and it was great. We learned much more than we would have on our own. He was a wealth of information and not just about the falls. It was no more than a 10 minute ride - not even that I don't think - certainly not 20 minutes.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the lodge, and we will certainly stay there if we are lucky enough to return. Robin