Notices

Zambia in May- S.Luangwa and LZNP

Nov 15th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Zambia in May- S.Luangwa and LZNP

I thought we were set on our plan to go to Zambia in June 2010. But I think due to the World Cup, the flight prices/frequent flyer miles to and connections from Jo'burg are not ideal. So now thinking of moving back the trip 2 weeks(as the flight availabiltiy is better) which would put us there mid-end of May-- not a big time difference I know, but I guess my concern is that we were already planning to go early in the "peak season", so by moving it back will we be significantly reducing our game viewing opportunities? The operators I have queried all say each time of year is special, customers never seem disappointed, etc.-- but I don't know how objective they are, so if anyone here has experience with that time of year and can comment, I would appreciate it.
Thank you.
Nov 15th, 2009, 07:51 AM

We have been to both destinations in June. So I have no idea whether it's more probable there is still some rain in May.

The rainy season has ended in May (well, at least it should; nothing's predictable anymore!)

June was excellent for Vic Falls/Livingstone as the falls were FULL!

Game drives were good but not overwhelmingly extraordinary. In SLNP we had good lion sightings and a leopard. But all sightings were average.
The same in LZNP.

The landscape is gorgeous in both locations.

The operators are right - every season has got it's specialties. But some specialties are not made for everybody.

You know exactly what you would like to experience. And only based on that yous TO should advise you on time/season to go.

SV
Nov 15th, 2009, 08:17 AM

I spent 8 nights in SLNP in late May this year. I wasn't disappointed with the game viewing. I saw Lion most days, some big herds of Buffalo, Elephant, leopard 4 times on night drives, lots of more general game.

This was my first time to Zambia having travelled mostly in East Africa and I was very happy with what I saw. And as SV has said the scenery is wonderful. Sunny everyday for me.

The game is - obviously - not as prolific as somewhere like the Mara, or SLNP in Sept/Oct perhaps, but I saw enough to be happy to go back again at that time of year.

Search this Thread