Zambia in May?

Jul 1st, 2004, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Zambia in May?

Has anyone visited during this time and can share experiences?
Jul 1st, 2004, 01:45 PM

I was in Zambia in May 2004. the weather was spectacularly beautiful-- blue skies crystal clear after the April rains, lots of green. Temperatures were perfect-- warm but not hot during the day, and cool but not cold at night. Less dust than during the dry season (which is pleasant but does mean sunsets are not as spectacular as later in the year.)

But be aware that during this season the animals are dispersed all over the park as water and grass are so abundant. So for a first Africa/Zambia experience, it wouldn't be my first choice, but for someone who already loves the place and wants to see it during a different season, it is beautiful. We said plenty of elephants, including some herds of about 200...lots of antelopes, giraffe, some buffalo (but not the big herds I've seen at other times), many hippo (including several tiny, tiny babies!) Plenty of lion (but not as many as other times). Leopards were difficult...Zambia is famous for lots of leopard, but I didn't see any in May. (Very easy to hide...and since many camps were just open for the season, there wasn't alot of "history" to use to find them.) Birding of course was fabulous. (In fact I think that the birding in Zambia is superb-- much better than Botswana for example.)
The big plus: April and May may be the best time to see wild dog...and we did see a large pack hunting, which was an incredible sight. Also saw a den with hyena pups-- the cutest little pups imaginable. (Won't stay cute long I fear...) So there are some real pluses to this season...

Search this Thread