Zambia & Zimbabwe 2012 Self Drive Trip Report

Mar 26th, 2013, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Zambia & Zimbabwe 2012 Self Drive Trip Report

Hello,

Over time I have gleaned a lot of useful information off this forum, so I would like to return the favour by sharing with you a trip report of my 2012 self drive trip to Zambia & Zimbabwe covering Kafue, South Luangwa and Mana Pools.

http://www.alisonbuttigieg.com/zambi...lf-drive-2012/

I hope you will find it useful!

*PS: If you are interested in self drive safaris and don't know how to go about it I have started publishing a series of blog posts aimed to help you organize your own! Just go to my blog and in the Categories click on Self Drive Safaris.
Mar 26th, 2013, 02:29 PM

I have question, if you don't mind. We're talking about going to the Falls and Botswana next year and I keep reading about "self-driving" The only other place we've been is all over northern Tanzania w/a driver/guide the whole time. He was spectacular-giving us histories and ID's on any wildlife we weren't familiar with.
We want to see the wild dogs and I'm wondering if we drive ourselves, how we will know where they are? Probably a stupid question, but we counted on the guide knowing where to find things and conversing w/the other guides about sightings.

Self driving sounds like it would be very exciting, just wondering about locating the wildlife
Mar 27th, 2013, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

Hello,

Obviously when you are self driving you are sacrificing the guide knowledge for freedom and adventure. The trick is to then spend a longer time in each park to increase the chances of seeing the specific wildlife you want to see - and you have to put in a lot of hours and be very, very patient. Luck also plays an important role.

We know animal habits quite well and do a ton of research before setting off for a trip to familiarize ourselves with which areas of parks specific animals tend to prefer etc.

I see that you are interested in visiting Botswana - I would not recommend self driving there as your *first self-drive*, unless you are extremely confident and adventurous as you need to be very self sufficient and experienced in driving offroad on sand, mud and through deep water in very remote areas.

For self driving I would recommend starting off in places with easier infrastructure and in parks where wildlife is seen more easily: such as in South Africa and Namibia. Then once you have done it you can decide if something more rugged and adventurous is for you.

One other thing I could say is that if you are looking for a target species, to be on the safe side you could combine a self-drive with stays in lodges where they have good guides, so you get the best of both worlds.

Hope this helps!
Mar 27th, 2013, 06:40 AM

You can hire a driver/guide to accompany you in Botswana. You determine the itinerary(although this done well in advance for campsite availability) and decide what you are doing as the day unfolds.

Search this Thread