Zambia air booked! Whew!

Oct 8th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Zambia air booked! Whew!

OK - It's LNK - ORD- London (day in London - Kavey and Julian - you gonna show me the town? ;-) (It's a weekday, no worries, I'll be OK) (on United)

London- Nairobi -Lusaka (Kenya airways)

Then the reverse! What a relief. I believe the total is about $1800 All flights/taxes, etc.

Thanks again to all of you! This is the last you'll hear from me on the flights! I've promised myself NOT to go on Expedia in March and find my LNK-London trip at half the cost!

Take care all!
Oct 8th, 2005, 10:37 AM
bat

cooncat:
So this is really going to happen! Congrats =D>
Oct 8th, 2005, 11:14 AM

YAAAAAA ! a job well done...now only about 229 days until you're off to Zambia!! Time will fly, when i started on Fodor's I had something like 166 days to go, now I only have 10!! (i'm at work and can't remember the big grin!)
Dennis
Oct 8th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bat! It's a little freaky! Interestingly, I just got a call from Travelocity saying they don't have an agreement with Kenya Airways and that I need to call them directly to confirm my booking to Lusaka! How could it be listed on their web site, and be confirmed, and then this?? Anyway, I've left Kenya air a message and I'll get back with them Monday. I'm sure it'll be fine. Cheers~!
Oct 8th, 2005, 11:57 AM
bat

darn them, how rude. In case you start to get nervous take these until monday
Oct 8th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Hee hee! Perfect prescription bat!!!

I know dennis - you're almost there!

Seriously - has anyone else ever encountered this with Travelocity? I've got e-mail confirmations and everything from them. Should I be concerned?

Oct 8th, 2005, 05:10 PM

Repeat...do not check prices between now and then...I just did and could have had another night at LRL! Oh well. your flights will be fine!
Dennis
Oct 10th, 2005, 08:57 AM

cooncat, congratulations! And what a great price. Good luck with the Travelocity/Kenya Airways situation. I'm sure it's probably not a big deal.

As Dennis says, do not look at other fares--I keep getting Orbitz Deal Detector emails. Hate it when they're for significantly less than what we paid.
Oct 10th, 2005, 10:20 AM

OK cooncat did you end up booking2 separate tickets. ie. the United portion and then the Kenya airways portion or did the whole routing come up that way on travelocity? I will be starting to battle my way through this maze in the near future for our trip next year! I seemed to find flights for our last trip relatively easily but preliminary looks are telling me it is not going to be so easy this time round!
Have a fantastic trip
J
Oct 10th, 2005, 11:53 AM

Thanks every one! I've been busy moving to a new office,so haven't been so great about responding. I called Kenya airways and they were able to book me on the same flight. It is still a mystery to me and no one has been able to explain to me, why the Kenya itinerary showed up on Travelocity, I got a price quote, received and e-mail confirmation with my price and the information that e-ticekts weren't allowed and that I'd need to pay $20 to have them mail me the ticket. Then I get a call from Travelocity saying "We don't have an agreement with Kenya airways" .... and you know the rest of the story. I finally got ahold of Kenya Airways today and got the ticket for about the same cost - and they did have me in their computer system. The whole situation is crazy, but it worked out and I'm relieved. I'm only yammering on about this to help others in this situation. I've never had this issuse come up with Expedia. So, Jules39: I booked my US-London flight with Expedia, and my London to Lusaka flight with Travelocity/Kenya Airways. Now that I have all of this done, what am I going to fret over for the next 7 months? ;-)
Cheers,
Sharon
Oct 10th, 2005, 12:42 PM

Cooncat,

Now, for the next seven months, I suggest you read a few good books about the area.

First, and foremost, I would recommend Norman Carr's books, especially Return To The Wild.

Although not about wildlife, I would also suggest the two books that Alexandra Fuller has written, "Please Don't Let's Go To The Dogs Tonight" and "Scribbling The Cat." Both of them are awesome books that will have your attention from beginning to end.
Oct 10th, 2005, 01:06 PM

Rocco - Funny you should mention that. I've actually got a couple of books I need to read - I've owned Fuller's "Dogs" for years now and have finally sat down and am about halfway thru it. It is a great read, to be sure. The other book I have is a really thick one called Africa, a Biography of the Continent" or something like that. It looks dry, but I'll skim through it. It should give me a good refresher from my anthro and African history classes I took in college. Problem is, I also have to read a book every month for my book club, so with everything else to do, it's hard to get everything read...)
Thanks!
Oct 11th, 2005, 05:07 AM

Hi Sharon,
We are in the process of planning a trip very similar to yours during the same time period and also in contact with Barry. We need to finalize dates soon. Would you mind emailing me at [email protected].
Thanks so much.
tigerpaw
Oct 11th, 2005, 07:00 AM

I sent you an e-mail!
Oct 12th, 2005, 12:24 PM

Hi Sharon,

I've been off the board for a few days -- nice to hear that it got sorted! Are you doing the overnight in Lusaka or going straight through?

Send me an email with your dates and times -- I'll check my schedule. If I'm not at a conference, meeting up in London should be fine.

Cheers,
Julian
Oct 12th, 2005, 12:55 PM

Jules - I'm pushing thru and spending a night in Lusaka on the way back. No choice on that one. I'll e-mail you tonight with the details!

Sharon

Search this Thread