Roy's Itinerary and Some Questions

Old Sep 13th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roy's Itinerary and Some Questions

I'm trying to finalize a trip to Tanzinia over Christmas with Roy's. So far, the itinerary looks like this;

Dec. 25) Arrive Kilimanjaro International Airport, meet upon arrival,
overnight Impala Hotel (B&B basis)
Dec. 26) Depart Arusha for Tarangire National Park, afternoon game drive, overnight Sopa Lodge(B/L/D)
Dec. 27) Morning game drive in Tarangire before proceeding to Lake Manyara National Park, afternoon game drive, overnight
Manyara Wildlife Lodge (B/L/D)
Dec. 28) Depart Manyara for Serengeti National Park, afternoon game drive, overnight Sopa Lodge (B/L/D)
Dec. 29) Full day Serengeti, morning and afternoon game drives, overnight Sopa Lodge (B/L/D)
Dec. 30) Brief game drive in Serengeti before departing for Ngorongoro Crater, afternoon game drive on Crater floor, overnight Sopa Lodge(B/L/D)
Dec. 31) Morning game drive on Crater floor, afternoon atleisure, overnight Sopa Lodge Jan. 1) Full day Olmoti Crater Hike,overnight Sopa Lodge
Jan. 2) Depart Crater for Mto Wa Mbu Village
Walk, afternoon return to Arusha.

They have already advised me that the lodges may be booked but they have said they could provide semi-luxury tent camping. Ideally, I would like a combination of camping and lodges but I know that will depend on availability of lodges.

Has anyone done the semi-luxury tent camping with Roy's? What are the accomodations like? How bad are the sopa lodges? Any changes you would recommend in the itinerary?
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 01:58 PM

Did they say it was EMC camping? If so, here is the website:

http://www.emcmobilesafaris.com/

Personally, I'd do the camping in a heartbeat if they can squeeze you in. And because you're also lodging-it you won't have to worry about getting too dirty for too long, being away from a pool, etc.

Best of luck! Wish I were going over the holidays.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 02:11 PM

RedChicky,
Here's a recent report from someone who did the semi-luxury camping option with Roys - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34666414
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 04:09 PM

EMC camps and semi-luxury camping from outfitters are not equal!

EMC camps are seasonal. They set up for months in a certain part of the parks. These are not cheap and can be classified as luxury camps.

Semi-luxury camps from outfitters vary as much as our perceptions of semi-luxury!

For some, having non-participating camping safaris using small Bow tents with foam mattresses at public camp sites are semi-luxury.

For others, semi-luxury means cot beds in Bow tents at mostly special camp sites. And so on. And each outfitter offers 2 more styles of camping depending on budget.

It is best to ask very specific questions about the camping and pictures are crucial so you clearly understand what semi-luxury means to the outfitter!
Eben

Old Sep 13th, 2005, 04:22 PM

climbhigh and RedChicky,

Sorry, I didn't mean to equate EMC and semi-lux provided by outfitters. When I got an itinerary from Roy recently, it included EMC; I don't recall whether they called it luxury or not.

I do know the itinerary was too expensive. But very, very nice.