Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Western or Northern Serengeti in Early July?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are starting to plan a trip to Tanzania in early July and wonder if experts here think the Western or Northern Serengeti would be best for a two night stay at that time of year. We plan to also stay in the Central Serengeti for two nights as well as Tarangire and the Ngorongoro Crater. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Dec 28th, 2011, 12:06 PM

Early July, if the 'migration' is of interest... who knows where the herds will be. They can be in the West or already heading up North, as the herds don't all move at the same time, so some can be in either area.

Maybe best to stay in Central and from there, depending on where the herds might be (the guides do get to know from one another)... plan daytrips, up North on one day and/or West on the other.
Old Dec 28th, 2011, 08:58 PM

In complete agreement with Sandi. Not only can't you predict their whereabouts, the wildies can move very, very fast as well, so may be here today and gone tomorrow. Amazing how huge megaherds can vanish in the blink of an eye. I tried to hedge my bets this past July by staying in the west, north and north- east, but if you're not spending so much time exclusively in the Serengeti, I would do as Sandi says - book into a central location and perhaps splurge on a private vehicle and guide to take you to where the wildies are massed.
Old Dec 28th, 2011, 10:59 PM

We were at Ikoma tented camp early July. This was in 2006 if I remember correctly. I do not know if the camp still exists.

We saw parts of the migration there, but the setting is quite different. Far different from wide open plains with zillions of wildebeest on. It's much more bushy in the west. So we saw a huge herd cross a dry riverbed, and outside Serengeti NP we did a night drive and ended up between lots of wildebeest as well (which was great fun, actually).

The thing is; apart from those two encounters, the west seemed rather void. As a consequence we drove to the Seronera region most of the time (ic central Serengeti). And lost two hours every day by doing so.

B.regs,

J.
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the good suggestions!
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 02:20 PM

We were in the Western Serengeti early July 2010 at Kirawira Camp and conditions were exceptional with large herds of Wilderbeest and absolutely huge Nile crocs. Water levels in the Grumeti river were quite low and the crocs had an easy time. Also, saw many lions including an extended mating session. No other cats however.
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 04:57 AM

We stayed at:
<i>Kirawira</i> in late June 2006: great herds of wildies in the area.

<i>Mbalageti</i> in early July 2008: no herds around - had to drive north to see them at the Mara River

<i>private mobile camp</i> north of the Bologonja gate in early July 2008: the herds were at the Mara River

<i>Lemala Mara Tented Camp</i> in mid-July 2011: the herds were everywhere.

As you've likely read, it's impossible to predict where exactly the migration will be at any given time. The Central Serengeti is a daily game drive from the Western or Northern parts of the park, so you'll see the migration somewhere if your guide knows what he's doing. You could spend all 4 days in the Central Serengeti, staying at 2 different places for some variety. Then you can divide your game drives between looking for the migration and staying in the Seronera to look for the resident game.