Search

Laundy on Safari

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 09:10 AM
SB

Laundy on Safari

In August, we will be travelling to two tented safari camps in Botswana (Selinda and Nxabega) and a game lodge in Kruger Park(Singita). All of these places include laundry services. Has anyone actually used their laundry services? Do they do a good job? I'm not too worried about Singita, but if anyone can comment on the safari camps in Botswana, I would really appreciate it.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Lisa

Your laundry will think it has died and gone to laundry heaven. did not use laundry facilities in Botswana but I am sure that it is the same as everywhere else. It will come back ironed and looking like never before. I would not send anything that needs gentle care, though, just to be on the safe side. Would be interested to hear of others experiences.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 02:47 PM
me

I've stayed in camps where the laundry facilities were the cook's helper washing clothes by hand in a plastic basin. They came back spectacularly clean and looking almost perfectly pressed (there was no electricity there, so no ironing available). No idea how they did it. As the above poster said, you shouldn't necessarily let them wash your delicates, but otherwise your laundry's in very good hands.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Penelope

Having someone at the camp do the laundry is a wonderful luxury. I've never had a bad experience. At some camps, however, guests (or, at least women) must wash their own underclothes, but detergent is usually provided. That's no problem for me---I don't want a strange man figuring me out. P

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 02:54 AM
kavey

We had laundry done in a few camps in Namibia and Botswana and our clothes were fine.<BR><BR>We didn't have any delicate fabrics, just regular denim, cotton, chinos, Tshirts etc.<BR><BR>As for the ironing, most of the camps we were in did have electricity, (though I am pretty sure the clothes were hand washed and air/ sun dried) and they may have used electric irons, or reverted to the methods used before electric irons were common - heating up an iron made of iron and using that!<BR><BR>We did wash our own underwear which we prefer anyway, but sent our socks in with the rest of our clothes (after checking these were accepted).<BR><BR>Actually we found that one camp had changed its policy to accept underwear but we preferred to do our own anyway.<BR><BR>Kavey