Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Yet another ? RE: Abu Simbel (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/yet-another-re-abu-simbel-475139/)

jeepsterchick Sep 19th, 2004 08:19 AM

Yet another ? RE: Abu Simbel

The tour we are taking unfortunately does NOT include Abu Simbel, after reading all the MUST SEES on this board I have done some research into doing it anyway. It would mean flying to Abu Simbel after we arrive in Aswan at 9:00am(after leaving from Cairo at 6:15am), flying back to Aswan at 1:00pm and "catching up" with the tour. In the meantime the tour would have gone to the unfinished obelisk, the high damn, and probably The Temple of Isis at Philae. The price is doable. SO, do you all think it would STILL be worth it? It would be nice to have more days, but we dont.
Thoughts please???? Advice???? I'd hate to miss it, but I'm thinking it just might be to much this trip.
Thank you!!!

Louise Sep 19th, 2004 08:37 AM

Yes, Abu Simbel is a must see but the first thing that came to mind is that in April when I was there our plane from Aswan to Abu Simbel was over four hours late arriving and departing. I am not positive but I believe this had an effect on all flights that day as there are not that many flights servicing the area. Depends how tight your schedule would be for that day to catch up with the tour.

Dave_ Sep 19th, 2004 08:51 AM

Yes! I think everyone agrees that Abu Simbel is a must see. It easily makes my top 3 sites (maybe even the top spot) from my recent trip to Egypt.

Is there no way you can arrange for the flight to go direct from Cairo to Abu Simbel so you can cut out the stop at Aswan? I know the the tour companies do things differently but the one I used would have been able to arrange this so maybe yours can accommodate your needs too.

I assume you still plan to do the sites at Aswan? I had quite a packed day in Aswan. I did Abu Simbel very early and then did the High Dam and the Temple of Isis at Philae in the early afternoon.

sandi Sep 19th, 2004 02:21 PM

Our flight was supposed to stop in Aswan on way to Abu Simbel but since all passengers were going to Abu Simbel we flew straight there (no stop in Aswan).

Abu Simbel should be seen, butI wonder how you're going to catch up on the Aswan sites? Which are done first thing when arriving in Aswan? If the High Dam and Unfishished Obelisk - honestly, these can be skipped. But if Philae Island is done first, this I wouldn't want to miss. If done after lunch, then you can probably make it back from Abu Simbel (if no plane delays), get to the boat, have lunch and be ready to tour. Since check-in on the boats is in time for lunch I can understand the tour operator arranging sightseeing immediately upon arrival in Aswan, but it would have been nice if they offered the Abu Simbel as an option. So I would find out from the tour operator what sights you cover when you arrive in Aswan - this way you'll know what you'll be missing.

DebM Sep 20th, 2004 05:55 AM

Hi jeepsterchick,
We have just returned from our trip to Egypt which included 2 days in Cairo, very early flight (up at 3am) to Aswan and then on to Abu Simbel. We were there for about 2 hours and then flew back to Aswan and transfered on to our cruise boat for a 4 night cruise to Luxor. Your question asking is it worth it? In our view we would not miss the Temple of Isis to see Abu Simbel. I know this is not the general view of the other posters. We tried to get a guide for Abu Simbel when we arrived, we were assured there would be plenty, couldn't find one, the traders along the roadway to the entrance of the site hassle you endlessly (although the kids were a treat!)You know what you are going to see at Abu Simbel, you have seen all the photos there are not real surprises there and if you are doing the rest of the main sites in Egypt including Karnak Temple, we say give it a miss.

jeepsterchick Sep 20th, 2004 07:35 AM

Thank you, Thank you. I felt we could easily miss the damn and even the obelisk, but I wondered about the Temple of Isis? Glad you helped me with that. As much as I'm agonzing about missing Abu, I think with the history of egypt airs accuracy and missing the Temple of Isis, we'd better stick with the group. We could feasibly leave from Cairo to Abu at 4:30am, get back to the tour by 11:00, but the cost was $360 person = $720 - ouch.
I know we will be in awe of what we do get to see. I cant wait.
Now, stop telling me how fabulous Abu is. :-)
Thanks again!

rfb Sep 20th, 2004 09:36 AM

Hey jeepster,
The first time I went to Egypt, long ago and far away, I went to see the pyramids and come home. I read a bunch of guide books that said, maybe you should plan on going more than once. What did they know? I wanted to see the pyramids, couldn't be anything else worthwhile.

Well, five or six trips later, I found that maybe I didn't know as much as I thought I did. If you enjoy your trip, you will want to go back. There will hopefully always be the opportunity to do what you missed this time. Abu Simbel is remarkable, so is Philae; as far as that goes, Aswan is on my short list for retirement spots.

But to ask people to stop telling you how fabulous it is is just not reasonable. Think next year.

jeepsterchick Sep 20th, 2004 10:26 AM

Your right, I would like to see Jordan sometime too, so maybe next time...
I dont think I've even hit my stride on world travels yet....(and you know I was kidding about telling me how fabulous it is!)
Thanks!

sandi Sep 20th, 2004 01:41 PM

jeepsterchick - I still feel you should check with your tour operator to find out what the exact schedule is when you first arrive in Aswan.

It is quite unusual that Abu Simbel isn't included, but if not (as your itinerary indicates), it's almost always offered as an option. If you don't mind my asking, but which tour operator are you using?

And prices from Aswan to Abu Simbel shouldn't run anywhere near $320/person, or is that from Cairo?

jeepsterchick Sep 20th, 2004 02:55 PM

Hi Sandi - Using Gate 1, and I have checked with them, they can not add Abu Simbel, their suggestion was to forfiet our existing air(Cairo to Aswan) and do the 4:30 am to Abu (via Aswan) back at 11:00am. I have gotten 3 prices to do just that, $390, $360 and $325. They have a 10 day trip that it is an option, just wouldn't work for us. ;-(