Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Yesterday Continental called to cancel my flight, Cairo - Newark, for 6/1

Mar 3rd, 2011, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

They said it is due to political unrest. What??? I thought Egypt was looking much better for tourism these days. I was re-booked on an Egyptair flight instead, to JFK. I had plans to stay a few nights in Newark, so that is not the best, but had to fight for it anyway... as they REALLY wanted to put me on a two-connection return, via Frankfurt and Montreal. This was an award ticket, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much. But it still bothers me when the airlines mess with you like that.
Mar 3rd, 2011, 12:15 PM

I had a similar experience with Delta--although no one got as far as calling to tell me that the flights were canceled! We originally had a nonstop, JFK-CAI and they wanted to reroute us through Paris, with only a one hour layover. Needless to say, that wasn't going to work.

My gut feeling is that it is a supply and demand issue right now. I'm sure they don't want to send mostly empty planes, but are using the "political unrest" as an excuse.

On the other hand, the US State Department still hasn't amended their recommendation that nonessential travel be avoided.....
Mar 3rd, 2011, 02:13 PM

If your dates are flexible, you might be able to get better flights. If not, keep calling to see if there's anything else. Availability changes constantly. Also ask about partner airlines.

I'm not surprised. Many people are canceling their Egypt visits, and many tour companies are advising it, so it's supply and demand.
Mar 3rd, 2011, 05:19 PM

Our flight with American Airlines 5/15 hasn't been canceled.
Mar 3rd, 2011, 06:42 PM

AA flies nonstop to Cairo from the US?
Mar 4th, 2011, 01:32 AM

I recommend IF you can take Egypt Air, do it. Egypt Air is NOT going to be changing flights, and I think their flights are fairly full since so many of the others are not being as cooperative about flying into Cairo.
My Egypt Air flight from Madrid (last Thursday afternoon) was nearly full...and mostly Spanish tourists - not Egyptians trying to get home.

To see if your flight is coming in on time these days, you can Google CAIRO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
You will get a link to their INBOUND Flight page. It updates every few minutes so you can see if some flight has arrived, or is canceled or whatever. It might help you make a decision about which airline to use.
Mar 4th, 2011, 03:48 AM

Well, that's not making me feel any better! EgyptAir direct from JFK is listed as "non-operational"!

It also shows that many of the internal flights are still not running.
Mar 4th, 2011, 04:57 AM

Still a travel.state.gov Travel Alert

for non-essential travel lots of instability

might wait till they lift that.
Mar 4th, 2011, 10:38 AM

christabr-AA flight is to LHR, then on to Cairo via Egypt Air with bags checked all the way through from start to finish. We have miles for AA.
Mar 4th, 2011, 11:03 AM

<>
Where was that? On the Cairo International Airport Arrival page?

Domestic flights not running would simply be because there aren't enough tourists to run ALL the flights. You will probably fine at least a couple a day from each destination that are going.

I listened to a Chicago radio show tonight on station WVON. It was being broadcast from one of the Sonesta Nile Cruise boats with a group of Americans that were here on tour NOW. They were having a great time. They nicknamed themselves "the Marines" (the Few, the Proud and the Brave)
It sounded like they were having a marvelous time and very happy they had come to Egypt now.
Mar 4th, 2011, 04:28 PM

chris45ny- hmm, EgyptAir has been a Star Alliance member since 2008.

Not a surprise they didn't cancel your flight from LHR to Cairo. Different story for a non-stop from the US.

Casual Cairo - I bet tourists who didn't cancel their plans for Egypt are having the time of their lives!! It must be incredible for them with smaller crowds and some really psyched Egyptians!
Mar 5th, 2011, 03:15 AM

FYI - I did see today that the Egypt Air flight direct from NYC was in route and scheduled to be about 30 minutes late on arrival, but they were coming.
Can't figure where MizzLee found them as "non operational".
Mar 5th, 2011, 03:40 AM

@Debbie: I did see the flight take off yesterday and it is reported as landed now. The one I saw labeled "non operational" was the flight that was supposed to have arrived 3/4/00
Mar 5th, 2011, 04:41 AM

Or maybe it was supposed to land 3/4/11. Hadn't had the first cup of coffee yet
Mar 5th, 2011, 09:25 PM

LOL.. I was wondering about that. I think the vast majority of Egypt Air flights from abroad are coming in.
Mar 7th, 2011, 12:02 PM

My wife and I have (or rather, had) BusinessFirst tickets EWR-CAI 5/20 and CAI-EWR 5/30. Continental hasn't even informed me of the cancellation - those segments just "disappeared" from our itinerary. When I called Continental today, the first agent knew nothing about it; the manager said that “someone would call” and they were “working on it” – nothing they have initially proposed comes close (like connections through Frankfort with “standby” for an upgrade) to what we lost (non-stop service with new lie flat beds in a 777).
Mar 7th, 2011, 01:07 PM

If you do fly Egypt Air, lucky you!! My JFK-Cairo and return were 2 of the best flights I have ever experienced. Enjoy the wonders of Egypt! Would go in a heartbeat right now if I could get the time off.
Mar 30th, 2011, 08:50 PM

Not surprised about Continental cancelling. We will never fly Continental again . They cancelled 2 flights on us one from Lima to NYC & changed another 4 times bringing the flight forward by 12 hours back by 11 then back again until we gave up and booked with another Airline as we wanted to reach our destination. We had put our Egypt plans on hold but are now looking at 2012.
Mar 31st, 2011, 11:58 PM

Between my experience trying to get back to Cairo in Feb on Iberia Air, and recent friends experience trying to get out of Cairo on KLM, all I know is I would NOT want to be running an airline these days. WHAT A MESS!
Apr 23rd, 2011, 04:24 AM
TC

Bookmarking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO