Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Yellow Fever Vaccination Necessary for Entering Egypt

Oct 3rd, 2010, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

I will be arriving in Cairo from Costa Rica, with an overnight stop in New York City. I've read the CDC requirements which list Costa Rica is on the list that requiring vaccination (last updated in 2009), while other lists do not include Costa Rica. I do not want to be denied entry. Where do I get definitive information about this requirement? I'm also 66 years old and would rather not take the yellow fever vaccine if I don't have to. Thanks.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 01:59 PM

Egypt doesn't require YF inoc for entry even for those visitors coming from Kenya (many visitors combine Egypt/Kenya) which is on the list of YF areas.

As a 66/yr old, the CDC doesn't recommend the YF inco, so a letter to this effect on doctor's letterhead should suffice.
Oct 4th, 2010, 12:48 AM

The only question that I might still have is - will Costa Rica require you to have had it to return to Costa Rica from here? That would be a shock to not have it and have Costa Rica give you problems coming home.
Oct 4th, 2010, 09:58 AM

If YF isn't endemic in Egypt and isn't in the YF zone "why" would Costa Rica require some one arriving to have had the inoc. Of course, there's often no rhyme or reason as to the "why" by any country. But as Debbie mentions, find out what CR requires of citizens or visitors entering and from where?
Oct 6th, 2010, 04:21 AM

I just know that on my first trip here my doctor recommended I get the YF inoc JUST IN CASE I got stuck somewhere else in Africa due to airline problems or ANYTHING that could happen along that line so the USA wouldn't nave any issues with letting me back in. I got it cuz I didn't know better.... seemed like the doctor knew more than I did at the time.
Oct 6th, 2010, 07:32 AM

Debbie - I can somewhat understand that, but not being a doctor don't necessarily agree I've read that from some posters here and elsewhere, but as we've all learned many of the docs back home, even Travel Clinics have never been out of the country, simply read the book and advise patients who then has to dissect info provided and make a decision... or come here for input.

As the YF inoc is good for 10/yrs... you've covered yourself for the duration; then after 10/yrs are up, you decide whether you want a booster.