Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

yellow fever shot mandatory for tanzania?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone clarify if this is the case.sandi posted this came into effect on 21 January.We leave in 2 weeks and may not be able to get the yellow fever shot before we go.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 07:44 AM

Please refer to my post on January 15!

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=4

January 21 is incorrect! It came into effect at least a week earlier.

For different reasons I strongly recommend you get the yellow fever shot.

However, if you arrive from N. America via Europe (on KLM for example) they will not ask for your certificate. But if you transfer in Africa (via Nairobi for example, or see my list above) be prepared to show your certificate.

Just get the shot! It is best.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 07:47 AM

Yes, last week they asked to see my certificate when I came from Nairobi. They were willing to let some people in who said they had certificates but had not brought them, but I wouldn't count on this.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 07:55 AM

The notice dated from TATO was 15th January. As this was insufficient time for many travelers to obtain said YF inoculation and for it to even become effective (10/days after the jab), they extended the date until 21st January.

As the law is currently written, if you are arriving direct from US, Canada, UK, Western Europe, to Tanzania, you do not require the YF inoculation. That said, however, if during this visit for safari on the mainland, if you are also visiting Zanzibar Island, you DO need the YF inoculation.

On arrival you have to be approved by the Health Desk before heading to Immigration/Visa counters.

If you do not have the inoc, you will be turned away. However, the Tanzanian goverment is providing YF inocs on the spot for USD$50. This alternative is questionnable, if one doesn't know what precautions are taken for clean unused needles for this purpose.

I'd get to a health or travel clinic as soon as, and be sure you get the "yellow booklet" that is supplied as proof of said inoc. The YF inoc is then good for 10/years.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 08:38 AM

Nope, they checked my certificate on January 14 (they started on January 13) and ever since.

Nope, you will NOT be turned away if you cannot produce a certificate.

I can explain the true procedure at the airport (I am based in Tanzania right now and go to the airport twice a week) - instead, I will just repeat: get the shot!
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 09:52 AM

My husband I and depart for TZ on March 7th. We will end our safari with 3 nights on Zanzibar. We are also flying KL from the US thru AMS.

All that being said, we are now in a rush to obtain YF vaccinations. The rush is because it turns out that there is a nationwide shortage on the vaccine and, even though tho the validity takes place 10 days after the jab (as so well put by Sandi) the efficacy is best if one gets it 6 weeks before arrival in country. As of today we are 5 weeks out.

DH and I are waitlisted to get the vaccine the week of Feb. 11 in a city 1.5 hrs away as our own county cannot get us the vaccine in time. I'm calling all around Montana looking for a sure shot elsewhere.

Sigh,
-doo
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 10:09 AM

Let me clarify my previous statement on US nationwide shortage fo the vaccine...According to the CDC the single dose vials of the vaccine are the one currently in shortage. There are plenty of 5 dose vials around. However, the 5 dose vials can only be used when there are 5 people lined up to give the shots to as the vaccine becomes impotent soon after cracking it open. According to the CDC it's more of a logistical problem to get the shots.

However, _any_ YF shots are in short supply in my state. My own county couldn't take me and the county with the biggest city couldn't either. Therefore I would advise that anyone who knows they need the shot for travel in the next few months to make your appt. now - they're good for 10 years.

-doo