Yahoo! news - Explosion at Egyptian hotel

Oct 7th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Yahoo! news - Explosion at Egyptian hotel

Just read on Yahoo! news that there was an explosion at the Hilton hotel in Taba at the Egyptian/Israeli border.

Anyone going, please be careful. This makes me nervous to continue looking at booking this vacation in March...
Oct 7th, 2004, 02:22 PM

After yearning for years to visit Egypt,my husband and I have started planning a March trip. Now, we don't know what to do. Is it crazy to consider taking our two teenaged sons with us? Drat. Will I EVER see the pyramids???
Oct 7th, 2004, 03:12 PM

ARG!! I have made our final payment - and we are going. It does make my argument that it is safe pretty weak though. Just the kind of news we wanted to hear.

Oct 7th, 2004, 03:24 PM
sandi

- an explosion? a gas leak? or a bomb? and I haven't read of anyone on this board traveling to Taba.

go and enjoy your holiday!

Oct 7th, 2004, 03:28 PM

Whew - its about time Sandi! I needed a little reassurance. We will be fine.
Oct 8th, 2004, 04:12 AM
sandi

It's very upsetting all around when what now seems to be a terrorist attack happens anywhere. More so if one is planning on traveling to that particular destination. This attack appears to have been a particular target against Israelis, again. Apparently the terrorists couldn't get into Eilat, which would have also been full of tourists, so they picked the closest "soft" target, and Taba is certainly that, but on the Egyptian side.

Nowhere these days can anyone be guaranteed an incident will not occur where we choose to visit, but except for traveling into an actual war-zone, we can't sit home and worry - the terrorists win! Egypt has put a tremendous amount of effort into the security they provide for tourists - at hotels, sites, vehicles, etc. - as they can no longer afford such impacts on their tourism industry.

As we did, less then two-months after the Embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania, we sucked it in, and were on our way and had a wonderful time in East Africa. Of course, these decisions are personal, that one has to make for themselves. Remember, the alternative is sitting at home and missing an amazing holiday.

Oct 8th, 2004, 04:20 AM

We traveled to Egypt in April 2002 with our 2 kids and had a great trip.Go and reap the rewards.
Oct 8th, 2004, 04:22 AM

We also went to Jordan on that trip.
Oct 8th, 2004, 04:50 AM

My personal view (but perhaps it would also be supported statistically) is that a terrorist act in any particular location should then make that same location safer than "competing" alternatives. Leaving aside obvious extremes such as Iraq.
Oct 8th, 2004, 05:48 AM
sandi

ArthurSA - I too used to feel as you - "they've been here, they won't be back." Then the bombing of the hotel in Mombassa a few years after the embassy bombings. And, of course, 9/11 - a return to the scene of the earlier bombing at the World Trade Center.

Statistically, you're probably correct. So I don't change my travel plans. All the more reason to have trip insurance.

Oct 8th, 2004, 06:39 AM

I wonder how badly this will effect the tourism. Very unfortunate. It initaly took my breath away, but am fine with going again - I'm sure there have been cancellations. Its somewhat reassuring it wasn't directed toward Americans.
Oct 8th, 2004, 10:50 AM

We are going to Egypt in two weeks and still very much looking forward to it!
My family has already called to tell me we are nuts, but we heard the same thing last year when we went to Turkey (soon after the bombing of Iraq started) and we had a wonderful trip. In Turkey it was sad to see so few tourists, the Turkish people we met were so happy we were there. I hope this does not deter folks from visiting Egypt. We will be there on the U.S. election day, that should be interesting!
Oct 8th, 2004, 12:17 PM

oforparis -Good for you! Please post a trip report when you return! Cant wait to hear.
Oct 9th, 2004, 10:01 AM

My wife and I had been planning a trip to Egypt - Cairo and the Pyramids, a Nile cruise, and diving in the Red Sea.

However, every day one sees in the news more and more murders of innocent people being carried out by islamic terrorists, not just in the region but all over the world.

Surely that's not a reason to avoid travel completely, but until something is done about these mass killings it seems like common sense to avoid this particular region.

Anyway, may your travels be safe.

Brian
Oct 13th, 2004, 04:24 AM

I think Sandi makes a very poignant point. If you don't go out and explore the world then the terrorists have won. I am leaving for Egypt in a couple of days to stay at a Hilton and sadly my view is, at least the security may be tighter? Having spoken to locals they are terribly upset that a fanatic minority effect a peaceful majority. It was the same in Bali which has also devastated their tourism economy.
Go out and explore but be sensible and respect local customs...
I can't wait to see it all.

Search this Thread