Search

Ndutu - shared camps?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ndutu - shared camps?

Has anyone any experience of "shared camps"?
I'd like some feedback on this as Roysafaris is having trouble finding accom in the Ndutu area for our trip Jan - Feb next year.
I'm slightly panicking as I just booked our (no change) flights today!
Any accom suggestions gratefully recieved.

ps - have posted under this new header as the other thread is a bit tired!
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 01:45 PM

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "shared camps"?
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Neither am I ??

Roys have said most accom full in the Ndutu area (lodges?) so thr only choice might be a "shared camp"
I have discovered there are public camps where anyone can go - shared toilets etc - if that's what's being offered I'm not keen.
That's why I've posted as it's taking a day aleast to get replies from Roys.
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 04:08 AM
sandi

phil - I can understand that Nduto Lodge is full, but what is the status of Serengeti Camp (under ownership of Kirurumu) or Kusini Camp; possible Ngorongoro Camp (also a Kirurumu camp). The later is a bit further away, but is a semi-permanent camp that moves accordingy to the position of herds. All three of these are more expensive, but what's the availability? And you might as well check availability at the Serena and Sopa Lodges, both in Central Serengeti. If available you might have to go back to the original - fed days in Central then down to SE or even Ngorongoro. Check all options.

Old Sep 29th, 2004, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Really having probs re accom, trying to do the rrip in reverse order to see if that helps.
I feel Nancy at Roys is trying and we're prepared to consider all options so will just keep my fingers crossed.

Wish I could find an online amp which showed locations of accom which would help - does anyone know of one?
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 07:02 AM

Phil- I just googled "maps of masai mara in Kenya" and got this:
http://www.kenyalogy.com/eng/parques/mara.html
There are many others. Go2Africa also has an interactive map of Kenya showing the camps in the game parks.
I too searched high and low for a trip to that area a year or two ago and other than a camp site, Ndutu was it. I emailed with Louise, the manager there and she said they book up starting in July of the year before. Just not many choices. I think Sandi had the only solution and one that I was going to mention. The central Serengeti has a large number of the Wildies at the same time, and one year they totally skipped the southern serengeti and went directly to the central area and did their calfing. So you never know. Liz
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both for your feedback - my head is "mince"!!! trying to get this sorted.
Mobile tent option a poss but costs (??)
Serengeti Serena an option but not sure whether to say "Yes" in case other options open up. Will I kick myself if I take it or lose it???
Should I just go for it??

Lost my trip somewhere (and the plot!) and am having to do a major rethink re itinerary and costs.

The original plan was to see as much as poss of both Kenya and Tanzania in our given time and budget.
I feel the focus has centred on the Serengeti, for obvious reasons, and while I DO want to be there - that wasn't the purpose of the trip and the rest of it seems to be fading away.

The trip is now going to Tanzania first to fit in (hopefully) with accommodation and now I feel in a dilema as to whether we will feel "flat" leaving the centre of the action and be a bit disappointed with the rest of the trip.

Glad I got that off my chest! it's been bugging me all day while I've been struggling with the itinerary.

Am I losing it altogether??
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 05:01 PM

Hang in there, Phil16!!!! You are not losing it! If push comes to shove, I would consider doing a couple days of semi-luxury mobile camping should other accommodations not be available. If I remember correctly from my last search, Roy Safaris does have private campsites it uses. You might also want to check their "facility" equipment, as I recall a portable bush shower and "potty" are standard. There could be worse things then really spending a "night under canvas" in Tanzania! Besides, talk about adventure!!!
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Well Susanlynn - you cheered me up there with the thought of paying an arm and a leg for a potty!!

A "bit" of an adventure I think I could cope with, just don't want to set myself up for a dissappointment.

Have spent all evening (night?) working out 2 alternative itineraries to send Roys in the hope that one of them might hit the spot and I can relax.

By the time this trip is booked I'm going to feel as if I've been there, done that , AND got the t-shirt! Not to mention being totally scunnered and wondering WHO's idea was this???

only joking
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 01:46 AM

Phil16: But Kenya and Tanzania are worth every minute of the aggravation and stress you are currently experiencing!!!!!
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 04:53 AM
sandi

phl16 - Just know that whether you do Tanzania first to get the accommodations initially desired and then Kenya - it'll be worth the frustration you're going thru right now. If you choose the Serena or Sopa in Central Serengeti, these are fine accommodations, as would be mobile-tented camps that Roys might have space for you, whether at begining or end of the itinerary. And while these might be more expensive realize you will have your own guide and support team who set up your tents, cook your meals and take care and be there for you in every way. And as Clematis mentioned - one year recently the herds never made it down to the Southeastern area. Animals have their own schedules and from year-to-year moving according to their own timetable - when the rains come, when the grasses are ready for them to move on. Even the Migration into the Mara can vary from year-to-year - it can be early or late, they can stay for a shorter period one year, a longer time in another. There's no guarantee, but for the "calving" you will still be in the vacinity and able to drive wherever and be glad that you've been able to have this experience. I'm sure it'll all fall into place.

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your encouragement!

I'm sure we will work it out and have said I'm prepared to pay the extra for the camp as it does sound amazing, so hope we get that at least.

Now just trying to work out Tarangire as I think we would enjoy that.

tomorrow should bring more news - hopefully good!
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

I thought I'd post what seems to be (finally)my itinerary from Roysafaris for our trip to Kenya and Tanzania in Jan -Feb for those who have been most helpful in getting this trip "tweaked"!

Day 1 (22/01/05) - Arrive Nairobi. Overnight Fairview Hotel
Day 2 (23/01/05) - Transfer to Maasai Mara. o/n Mara Serena
Day 3 (24/01/05) - Mara Serena
Day 4 (25/01/05) - Mara Serena
Day 5 (26/01/05) - Fly Nairobi - transfer to Amboseli Serena
Day 6 (27/01/05) - Amboseli Serena
Day 7 (28/01/05) - Drive to Ngorongoro. o/n Ngorongoro Sopa
Day 8 (29/01/05) - Ngorongoro Sopa
Day 9 (30/01/05) - Ndutu Camp
Day 10 (31/01/05) - Ndutu Camp
Day 11 (01/02/05) - Ndutu Camp
Day 12 (02/02/05) - Kirurumu Tented Camp
Day 13 (03/02/05) - Kikoti Tented Camp
Day 14 (04/02/05) - Drive to Arusha and transfer to Nairobi. Transfer to Fairview Hotel.

Nancy at Roys has done her best to get us the accommodation in Tanzania where we wanted to be so I feel really pleased with the end result and looking forward to January

Old Oct 12th, 2004, 05:10 AM
sandi

phil16 - I like, I like. I'm sure you were quite frustrated knowing you had your air tickets and yet couldn't get your land firmed-up, but it's r are that it won't all fell into place. Sometimes you just have to wait till some accommodations are released. Yes, there are some big companies (A&K, Cox & Kings, others) that hold space for their itineraries, but have to eventually release the space at minimum 90-60 days prior - there are travelers other than their prospective clients who wish those rooms/tents. And I know you'll just love the tent camps. Don't forget to remind us of your departure before heading out.

Old Oct 12th, 2004, 05:48 PM

Wonderful, wonderful ... sounds FANTASTIC!!! Can't wait for you to go and come back and tell us all about it!!! Good for you!
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your enthusiastic responses
I'm really pleased too and counting the days!

Now - I'm making lists!!
Jotting down things that occur to me that I need to find out, things to do, things to buy, etc etc.

No doubt I'll be asking for help again soon, as I've found this forum to be a great source of info.
Cheers!